Chapter 11

The doctors were able to resuscitate Sicily. I stayed by her bedside for the next few days. Charles was there most of the time too and no one ever asked who he was. They were content with knowing he was the one who got Sicily to the hospital. I was reading in the arm chair when Charles motioned for me to come closer to the bed.

"She squeezed my hand." He whispered nervously.

I grabbed her other hand. "Syd." She groaned.

"I'm here Sicily. I'm right here." I told her as I squeezed her hand. Sicily looked over at Charles with tears in her eyes.

"It fucking hurts." She whimpered.

He kissed her hand. "I know. Sydney's gonna get the doctor so they can give you something for the pain." He told her.

I got up and rushed into the hall looking for a doctor. Sicily didn't say anything else, but she floated in and out of consciousness over the next few hours.

The doctors took her in for surgery soon after that since some of the swelling in her brain had went down. My parents, Charles and I sat in the waiting room anxiously for hours. Eventually two doctors stepped out and called my parents over. I watched my mother crumble in my father's arms. I buried my face in Charles chest as the tears flooded my eyes.

Sicily's funeral was packed with people. Everyone offered stiff condolences. I sat in the front row with my parents but I could feel everyone's judging eyes piercing my back. At the end of the service I stood with my family as people exited the grave site, offering their final words to us. I spotted Nathan standing away from the crowd. We caught each other's eyes and he mouthed, I'm sorry, before walking off.

"I know it's been a hard week but you have to go back to school tomorrow." My mother told me at dinner a couple days later.

"I don't want to go back." I stated.

"It's not up for discussion Sydney. You will return to school tomorrow." My father told me.

"Please, you can't make me go back to that school, not after everything that's happened." I begged.

"Maybe you'll learn to follow rules and appreciate what God has blessed you with a little more." He stated.

"Please don't make me go back." I mumbled looking down at my food.

"Damn it Sydney you can't always get what you want. Have you not learned that yet? What is it going to take for you to just be obedient; does someone else have to die?" He screamed, slammed his fork down and left the table. Tears formed in my eyes and silently slid down my cheeks.

"Excuse me..." my mother got up and followed him to their bedroom.

"Aunt Jo..." I started.

"I'm not going to tell you everything is going to be okay baby, but you will survive this, it's just going to take time." She told me.

"I want to come live with you, just for that time, please." I begged.

"Sydney, I would love to have you but it's not mine nor your decision. You need to talk to your parents." She explained.

"Aunt Jo please, you see that they're feeling some type of way towards me right now; will you talk to them? Make it sound like your idea." I suggested. She looked ready to decline and I cried harder.

"Calm down Sydney, I will talk to your mom. Why don't you go up to your room for now?" She said. I nodded and went to my room.

I laid across my bed and sighed. I was restless. My mind wouldn't shut off. I got up and walked to the bathroom and stared at my reflection. I looked the same as the first day of high school but now I didn't see myself as gorgeous; I was kind of disgusted with what I saw. Sicily was truly the gorgeous one, so pure and innocent. I pushed opened her door. No one had touched her room, everything was exactly where she left it. I didn't attempt to stop my tears this time. I had killed my sister and now I was trying to run away. I sat in her doorway and sobbed.

"God, I just need some clarity right now." I prayed. "Am I supposed to leave, or do I stay here, and face this shit?" I questioned. After a few minutes I finished my pity party, closed her door and returned to my room. I climbed back into my bed and slept, hoping to wake up with a clearer answer.

The next morning I woke up just as confused as the night before. I picked up my phone and checked my social media feeds for the first time since the day my life blew up. I had tons of new followers but I quickly realized why they were there, to torment me, to dig the knife further into my heart.

@jayxcheers: thot ass bitch

@camwasher3: drop the onlyfans link

@Mimilove: damn, imagine dying because your sister is a hoe

@2pacseed: PK's gone wild 😝😍, Jezebel reincarnated 🔥

The comments were endless, and my DM's ranged from petty taunts to rape threats. I quickly deactivated all of my accounts. I could do right somewhere else just like Sicily. I went downstairs and found my parents sitting at the table. I took a deep breath and joined them.

"I need to leave that school." I stated calmly. My father didn't look up from his iPad and my mother just sighed.

"Sydney..."

"Mom please." I cut her off. "They're saying vile things to me." I told her.

"Let your father and I discuss it." She offered.

"We have nothing to discuss. She's going with Joann. Take her to withdraw Brandy." My father stated and left from the table. I was relieved that I didn't have to go back to the school but was disappointed that my father so quickly decided to send me away. Once I was showered and dressed I packed my book bag with all the textbooks I had to return along with my cheerleading uniforms.

Everyone was in class when I entered the school. I gave everything to my mom and sat outside the office. It was hard for me to imagine that I was just walking these same hallways on top of the world; everyone loved me and wanted to be me. Now I couldn't think of one person who could stand to look at me.

"Psst...Syd..." I looked around and saw Nathan standing against the wall down the hall. A small smile crept onto my face as I made my way down to him.

"So you're leaving huh?" He asked once I reached him.

"Seems like the best option for me." I told him.

"And the easiest." He commented.

"Would you stay?" I questioned.

"I don't know... Are you coming back?" He asked.

"I don't know, probably, my parents haven't officially disowned me yet so..." I joked.

"I know how the video got out. There are security cameras in the gym, and the student helper in I.T., John, put the video out." I mentally kicked myself.

"Well then, I guess this is goodbye." He mentioned.

"I guess so... I really am sorry Nathan, for everything. I never apologized. You are such an amazing person. I feel horrible about the way I treated you. I wish I could go back and change everything. You deserve so much better." I stated looking down.

He lifted my chin with his finger, "Bye Sydney." He stated before walking away. I turned around and saw my mom waiting for me. "Let's go Sydney..." She said already walking away. I sighed and followed behind her.

My aunt and I were taking a flight that same night so I spent the rest of afternoon packing. A little while before we had to leave I made my way to Sicily's room. I went to her dresser, pulled out her bottom right drawer and reached behind it. I pulled out her diary. I doubt that she had secrets, but I wasn't going to allow anything to taint her memory.

"I love you Sydney, I always will." My mother told me as we hugged goodbye. "Your father had to be at the church, but he told me to tell you he loves you too." I nodded, but I knew it was a lie. My father would've been here if he wanted to be.

"We're enrolling you into school tomorrow. My condition is that you're gonna learn about your heritage girly. There's no reason for you to be so ignorant of our culture. Only condition your mom had, was some form of therapy had to happen. " Aunt Joann told me during the plane ride.

"I'm gonna be okay Aunt Jo...I'm gonna be ok." 

A/N: AND THAT'S THE END ...

Actually there's a sequel!!!! And our girl is going to do a little growing up.