Chapter 7

"Do you have to go?" I whined to Daniel as we sat in his jacuzzi.

"Yea, I need to be with my mom. She didn't even want me to stay the extra day here. The invitation is still open for you to join us." He told me. His mom was dragging him to visit their family in Colorado for New Years.

"And I appreciate the invitation. But my dad doesn't even know about us. He's definitely not going to let me spend New Year's Eve with your family." I reminded him. He nodded and placed a kiss on my shoulder.

"Babe, you're getting abs." He laughed as he ran a hand over my stomach.

"I've been training like crazy since school let out. I have to be in tip top shape for the cheer competition and for soccer season. I'm late to the game so I need for scouts to notice me this year." I told him. My mind drifted to my training sessions with Nathan. He was really working me hard. He hadn't so much as flirted with me since we started training. I'd catch him looking at me a few times, but he kept his comments and hands to himself.

"With your grades, you won't need an athletic scholarship." Daniel said interrupting my thoughts.

"I know, but I want one."

"I spoke with the coach from Alabama after the championship game. They really want me."

"Daniel, that's amazing!" I kissed him. He's a senior and we haven't yet approached the conversation about breaking up when he goes to school.

"I'm going to miss you the next few days." He whispered against my lips. I had spent majority of my afternoons with him over the break. His home life was in shambles and I could tell he was clinging to my company whenever he could. Since both of my parents were working at the church almost round the clock in preparation for the end of the year, it wasn't hard to hang out. I really like Daniel, which is part of the reason why I haven't broken up with him. His hands started to roam over my body under the water. I stood up and stepped out the jacuzzi. "Come on." I led him to his bedroom.

***********************************************************************************************"We're going to do something different this year." My father announced at breakfast on New Year's Eve. "We're going to do a lock-in for New Year's Eve. We'll do the usual countdown sermon and worship, but we've agreed to have the AA and NA members stay over and have a prayer breakfast New Year's morning." He explained.

"You girls will not attend. I'm sure these are good people but I'm not comfortable with you all spending the night." My mother stated.

"So where will we be?" Sicily asked.

"You all will stay here. The countdown will be broadcasted as usual, so you can watch and call in prayer requests if you need to. We will be home by 9am." My father told us.

I kept my composure at the table but as soon as we went to our rooms I let out a shriek. I think Sicily was in shock.

"What do we do?" She asked.

"We have a few options: we can throw a party; or we can attend a party; or we can have just a couple people over, keep it lowkey." I waited for her response.

"Sydney, I think we should just go to a party. If we throw one, we'll never get away with it. If we have just a couple people over, I'll have too much alone time with Charles." She rationalized.

"Sicily, you've been spending plenty of alone time with him." I reminded her.

"Yes, but everything we've done this break has been during the day, and in semi-public. I just feel like the more alone we are, the less control I'll have." She admitted.