Chapter 6

I woke up late the next morning. I rushed out of bed and into the bathroom to shower. I banged on my sister's door.

"Sicily why didn't you wake me up?" I yelled. I got no response, so I showered and got ready as quickly as I could. I hadn't done any of my homework the night before, so I prepared myself to hear hell about that. I ran downstairs and found my dad sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee.

"Daddy, how come no one woke me?" I asked.

"Well Sicily said you weren't feeling well last night and that's why you didn't come down for dinner, so I figured I'd let you sleep. Have a day off. Your mom already took Sicily to school." He explained. I mentally slapped myself realizing that Sicily must've heard me crying last night. I thought about dropping my stuff and just spending the day on the couch up under my father.

"I'm about to head to the church, do you want to come with me?" He offered. Church was the last place I wanted to be.

"Thanks dad but I need to go to school, it's the last day before break; so can you take me?" I asked. He shook his head.

"Can't baby girl. I'll get you an Uber though." He stated. I arrived as the first block of classes were letting out.

Nathan was waiting at my locker as I walked up.

"Hey..." He greeted as I opened my locker. "I turned in our project."

"That's great." I said closing my locker.

"Look Syd, I don't want things to be weird between us now. I'm really sorry." He apologized.

"Nathan you don't have anything to apologize for. But things do have to be different. We have to be friends, strictly friends or nothing at all." I told him.

"I can respect that. Can friends hang, go to a fair?" He asked.

"What fair?" I asked.

"Well it's more of a block party in my neighborhood this weekend. There'll be fair games and tons of food trucks. It's to raise money to buy gifts for the kids whose families can't afford it." He described.

"I don't know Nathan. It kind of sounds like a date." I sighed.

"Nah, it'll be a group of us going. Bring your sister. Come hang out with people in your class for once. You're gonna need us when you wanna be prom queen next year." He laughed.

"You're right. Okay, I'll ask my sister and let you know." I smiled and walked to my class.

I walked towards the cafeteria for lunch but paused outside the door. I didn't have the energy to interact with everyone. I turned around and bumped into Daniel.

"Hey." I spoke.

"I've been looking for you all day." He smiled softly.

"Why?" I asked squinting my eyes at him.

"Will you take a ride with me?" He asked taking my hand.

"Do we have time? Where are we going?" I asked checking the time on my phone.

"Take the rest of the day off. Ride with me." He pleaded. I didn't want to be at school anyways, so I allowed him to lead me out the building to his car. The drive lasted about twenty minutes before we pulled into a park. He held my hand and led me on a trail, not speaking along the way. He veered off the trail and brought us to a creek. He laid a blanket on the ground for me to sit on. I took a seat, leaning back on one of the boulders, as Daniel picked up a handful of rocks and started skipping rocks across the creek.

"Is everything ok?" I asked after a few minutes of silence.

"No. Everything is falling apart." He stated as he continued to throw rocks.