nine

JAMIE

I woke up in the middle of the night. The spot next to me was empty and cold, signaling that Finn had left long ago. I should've felt sad or something, anything, but I didn't really care that much. Yes, we are mates but our wolves are linked together, not Finn or me. I feel noting for Finn. He was just another guy that was good in bed for me, filling the void of my brother's best friend.

My wolf whined, wanting Finn next to us but I couldn't really care less. Finn was probably the best guy I have ever been with and that might be because we're mates but there was no emotional attachment to it, despite what my wolf was feeling.

I rolled over in the bed and looked at the clock. 3:43 in the morning. I rubbed my eyes and got up. I quickly put my clothes back on and went back downstairs to my room. I didn't want anyone seeing me come out of Finn's room nor make him think that I wanted more from him, because I didn't. The sex that Finn and I had, three times might I add, was just that; sex. No string attached. We both just wanted a warm body next to us to fill the void.

When I made it back to my bed, I took off my pants, leaving me in Finn's shirt and got into bed. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out.

***

It was noon by the time I strolled out of my room. My hair was wet from the shower I just took. When I made it to the kitchen, Sawyer was sitting at the table.

"Hey, I was wondering when you were going to wake up." He said, munching on some tater tots

"I was very tired."

Sawyer smirked at me. "Oh, I bet."

I walked over to the fridge and took out a container of watermelon. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Because I know exactly what you were getting up to last night, multiple times."

I blushed. "I was sleeping."

"With the Alpha." Sawyer said, the smirk on his face still there.

"Shut up, how did you know?"

"I heard you. I think we all heard you."

I blushed even more, feeling embarrassed. What can I say, Finn knows how to pleasure a girl. "Whatever, we're mates."

"Unmated mates." Sawyer corrected.

I shrugged my shoulders. "So? Still mates."

Sawyer stood from the table and put his plate in the sink. "Mates or not, what are you intentions with my best friend? You might be mates but do you plan on rejecting him in the future? If you do, stop doing whatever you're doing. He already had his heart broken twice, I don't think his heart can recover from a third."

Sawyer gave me a small smile and then walked out the door, leaving me dumbfounded.

First of all, who does he think he is telling me what I can and cannot do? If I want to have sex with Finn and reject him in the end, I sure as hell can. That might be a little fucked up but I can still do that.

Finn knows what we're doing is just a platonic thing between friends despite us being mates, right?

***

Later that day, after roaming around the small pack grounds, I grew restless. My wolf was used to running every night but we haven't gone for a run since the night I left my Alpha ceremony. I was sitting on the couch in the living room, an episode of The Office playing in the background and my leg bouncy rapidly. I was also biting my nails, a habit I had when I was anxious.