twenty one

JAMIE 

I felt like I couldn't breathe. Everything was going in slow motion. Was Jace really here? Was I dreaming? What is going on? Grayson was beside me, asking me who that was and if I was okay but I couldn't answer him. His questions seemed muffled by the shock coursing through my body. Even though Finn and I can't hear each other's thoughts officially because we aren't mated, he sometimes is able to get a few things across to me and sometimes we can read each other's thoughts.

Are you okay? Can you hear me

I willed my wolf to talk to his, telling him that we are okay and that we'll be home soon. Finn and I did some research on this and we believe our bond is to powerful, despite us officially mating because we're both alphas.

Grayson was pulling me back to the car and if it weren't for him, I might've collapsed, as dramatic as that sounds. "Jamie, I'm going to need some answers."

"That's my brother." I breathed out, turning the car on. My hands were shaking.

"Fuck, this means we could be exposed. This is bad."

I shook my head. "I think we'll be okay, I told him I'll call him and him and I can discuss things over the phone. He's got my back and he won't tell my parents or our siblings."

Grayson had fear in his eyes. "No, you don't understand. The girl he was with, is the daughter of the leader of the hunters. We're exposed."

I gasped, a million thoughts running through my mind. Did Jace know who she is? If so, why was he with her? Unless... they're mates?

Suddenly, a headache was forming between my eyes and all I wanted to do was sleep before my date with Finn. When Grayson and I got back to the pack, we took off our disguises and carried the bags into the house.

Sensing that something was wrong, Finn was at the door grabbing the bags from my hands. "What's wrong? What happened?"

He placed the bags on the chair and cupped my face, searching for anything that's hurt or injured. I leaned into his touch, savoring the way his hand warmed my face. He rubbed small circles on my cheek and I sighed, wanting to cry. "Can we go upstairs?"

Finn nodded and led me upstairs to his bedroom, that sort of became mine too. When did this happen? My brush and makeup were sitting on his dresser. Some of my shoes were by the bathroom door. The clothes that I had here were hanging on the opposite side of his in his closet. When did this become so normal between us?

I sat down on the unmade bed, letting Finn take off my shoes and place them on the floor beside his feet. "What's wrong, Jamie?"

I bit my bottom lip, telling myself I shouldn't cry but then I did. I missed Jace. He smelled like home and seeing him reminded me of everything that I have been missing these last few months. When did he get so tall? When I left, I was taller than him.

Finn got up from kneeling in front of me and sat on the bed beside me. He pulled me closer to him and laid us back on the bed, my head resting on his chest as he rubbed my back. "We can stay in tonight, fuck going out if you're this upset."

I sat up to look at him and shook my head, wiping the few tears that fell from my eyes. "I'm sorry but crying. I still want to go. I'm okay, I promise. We can talk about it over dinner. I ended up seeing my brother at the mall. There's so much we need to talk about with the packs and us."

Finn didn't say anything and just stared at me, searching my eyes for the lie, but I wasn't. We did need to talk and I think I was ready to merge our packs together. "I promise I'm okay. I'm going to soak in the bath and just relax before I get ready."