Chapter 25

Adriano

"Hey, you need to eat something." Krista sat down a plate of food in front of him. "If you starve yourself, she wont have anyone to come back to."

"Krista," he warned. He wasn't in the mood to eat. He sat at the table playing the security footage over and over again of the night he and Mayah were attacked.

"Seriously Adriano...Enough! You need to take care of yourself. When she-"

"If Krista! If!" he yelled interrupting her. "You saw the video just like I did! She jumped in front of me and got shot! I promised her it would be okay and I don't even know if she's alive." He ran his hands through his hair. He was losing faith that Mayah would turn up. It's been a little over a month and none of his contacts, nor Roach's have heard or seen anything.

"She will come home. Don't you dare think like that! Ever!" she responded. "She jumped in front of you because she loves you and if this is how you're going to act, then she did that for nothing. I will not have my sister coming home to you like this!" Krista grabbed her bag off the table and stormed out of the room leaving Adriano alone fuming.

If anyone else besides his brother or Mayah ever spoke to him like that, they would likely find a bullet whole somewhere in their body. He groaned in frustration as he played the video again. His honeymoon was supposed to be pure bliss but instead, Marco showed up and ruined it just like Mayah said he would. He felt guilty that he brushed her worries aside as paranoia. Considering Krista's words, he picked up the food and took a bite of the meal she prepared. She was absolutely right. Even though there was no proof of Mayah surviving being shot, there was also no proof that she didn't.

Deciding to change tactics for information about his wife, he pulled his cellphone from his pocket and dialed Roach. "Hey Roach...I got an idea. You want to go hunting?"

Mayah

"Hurry up and come back to bed!" yelled Marco as Mayah emptied the contents of her stomach into the toilet.

Its been a couple days since Marco had the doctor run tests on her blood and her condition hasn't improved. He's been forcing her to lay with him every night since she's been sick which she found very disturbing. She was grateful that he hadn't attempted anything with her but she knew it was only because she was sick. She flushed the toilet and rinsed her mouth before heading back to the bed.

"Carino, you being sick all the time keeps me up," he growled.

"I'm sorry." she mumbled as she slipped back into the bed. She glanced at the clock to see the time. Seeing it was a little after nine thirty at night, she held her breath hoping that he would just fall asleep.

"Oh it's fine. The doctor got the results of your blood work," he said in an eerie calm voice as he sat up in bed. "I've got to say I'm disappointed in you Carino."

Hearing the change in his voice, she sat up slowly and began to scoot away from him.

"Is there something you want to tell me Carino?" he questioned as he leaned towards her. "Or do you not know?" He snickered when she shook her head. He realized that she had no clue what the results of her blood test were. "I'm going to enjoy this. Stand up!" he ordered.

Mayah obediently slid off of the bed and padded over to the spot in the middle of the room where Marco was pointing. "Congratulations Carino," he growled before punching the right side of her face, knocking her to the ground.

The impact from the hit was so hard, Mayah began to see black spots in her vision. "Marco, please...I don't kn-"

"Shut up! I didn't give you permission to give away what was mine!" he yelled as he kicked her in the ribs. "You were to be my wife!" he screamed kicking her again in the same spot. "Carino...your thief of a husband took something that belonged to me," he said calmly as he bent down. He lifted her chin so that she could see his face. "Not only did he steal my bride, he stole my bride's virginity..." he flashed an evil grin as he stroked the side of her face. "But it's okay Carino...because I'm going to take something of his."

"I... don't..." she struggled to speak. "I don't...underst-"

"Shhh Carino, I know you don't. You see, you're a little over a month pregnant," he began. "And it's only fair that since he took something of mine...that I take something of his!"

Mayah's hand went down to her stomach. "I'm pregnant?" she questioned.

"For now," he growled as he stood up from his crouching position. "But that's about to change."

Mayah, rolled from her butt to her knees to climb to her feet. Determined to protect the only thing she had left of Adriano, she dashed towards the door.

"Not so fast!" he yelled grabbing her by her hair and shirt yanking her backwards. He punched her in the face again. She crossed her arms protectively in front of her stomach trying desperately to block the blows. "You had the nerve!" Punch "To marry someone else!" punch. Mayah's body crumpled to the ground. "To let someone else" Kick "touch you!" He kicked her again. "The only child you will ever have will be mine!" he growled as he stomped on her stomach. "You belong to me!" he yelled as he stomped on her again.

Mayah groaned in pain as she rolled over to crawl away. "Pl- Ple" she attempted to speak but the words wouldn't form.

"Where do you think you're going?" he grabbed her arm and dragged her to the bed. "I've been nice! I waited!" He threw her onto the bed and ripped her nightgown.

"No!" she cried. She knew exactly what he was going to do. "No! Please!" she screamed louder.

"Shut up!" he growled as he tore his close off. "You're going to learn your place!" he growled ignoring hear cries thrusting himself into her.

She cried out in pain as she attempted to struggle against him but it was no use. Her body was too badly hurt and drained from his continuous kicks and punches from earlier. Mayah squeezed her eyes shut as she cried. She prayed that it would be over soon.

"Open your eyes!" he ordered as he grabbed her face. "I said open them!"

Tears flowed freely from her eyes. Not wanting to see his face, she averted her gaze from Marco to the digital clock. Through her blurred vision she looked at the bright numbers. Ten Sixteen. Unsuccessfully, Mayah tried to block out her pain as Marco continued to violently assault her. She counted the minutes painfully until she slipped into darkness.