Chapter 24

A month had passed since Marco attacked Mayah and Adriano on their honeymoon. Mayah was recovering nicely from being shot. He, Mayah and Jackson were sitting in the back of a car that just arrived from the airport. He hadn't planned on staying a whole month after killing Adriano but with Mayah getting herself shot, that altered his escape plans a bit. Once the car pulled up to the curb, he got out and waited for Mayah to follow suit. She hissed in pain as she slid out behind him.

"You will do well to mind your manners, now that you're home" he growled in her ear as they entered his estate. He held her arm as they walked up the steps. "I have people coming over for company. Can I trust that you will behave or will I have to chain you in your room again?"

Mayah kept her gaze on the floor as they neared her bedroom. She decided not to answer because she knew that no matter what she said, he wouldn't like either response. He made it clear on the flight home that she had a lot of punishments coming her way.

"Carino, have you forgotten that I hate repeating myself?" He gripped her face hard as he forced her to face him.

"I don't feel good," she whispered as a tear escaped her eye.

"It's just the motion sickness from the plane and the car ride." He dragged her into the room and pushed her on the bed causing her to hiss in pain as she grabbed for her chest. Ignoring her pain, he reached for the cable and secured it around her foot. He adjusted the length so that the lead could reach the bathroom just in case his meeting ran over. He didn't want anyone else coming into her room just yet.

Mayah watched as he finished his adjustments to her cable. Just as he stood up to say something, she cried out. "I think I'm going to be sick again," she bolted up from the bed and ran to the bathroom. Dropping to the floor in front of the toilet, she began to throw up. After getting sick a few times, she sat back on her butt leaning her head back against the wall completely oblivious to the fact that Marco was still in the room.

"How long have you been sick?" asked Marco sternly.

"A couple of days." She tried to make her responses as quiet and short as possible. As soon as she responded, another wave of nausea hit her again. She leaned back over the toilet.

"I'll have the doctor come check on you." He watched her as she stood over the sink rinsing her mouth and splashing cold water on her face. "You better hope it's not what I think it is," he said to her as she turned the water off. He turned to walk out of the room leaving her alone in the room.

Once she was sure he was gone, she climbed into bed. She touched the empty space on her finger where the ring Adriano gave her was supposed to be. She sobbed quietly as she tried to keep from breaking down into uncontrollable tears again. Her heart ached as thoughts of Adriano and the moments they spent together danced through her mind. She blamed herself for his death. She closed her eyes as she tried to suppress the memories of Marco telling her that Adriano was dead.

Flashback

"Carino, you're finally awake. I was starting to worry you wouldn't make it," Marco said as Mayah tried to focus her eyesight.

"Adriano?" she croaked. Her voice was hoarse. "Where is he?"

"Ahhhh, you mean the thief that stole my property that you took two bullets for?"

"Please, I promise to behave. I'll do whatever you want. If you-"

"If I what?!" shouted Marco. Mayah tried to get up from the bed in a panic but her body was too weak from losing so much blood. "You will do what I say regardless. You know why?" He stalked angrily towards her bed as she began to shake with fear. "Because he's dead! You got yourself shot for nothing!"