Chapter 7

Almost two weeks had passed since Mayah and Krista decided not to testify against Marco. The judge dismissed the case without prejudice, letting Marco walk out of court a free man unless the district attorney chooses to file charges against him again. Since then, Mayah had become reckless.

"I told you to stay away from street racing! You two were supposed to come straight home after work!" Roach yelled. One of the local sheriffs called Roach as a courtesy to let him know that he spotted her car racing another vehicle in town but took off from him.

"Dad, it's not like we were by ourselves!" Krista shot back at her father. She knew her dad was agitated with Mayah's change in behavior but she liked this new Mayah.

"Krista!" he snapped. "And Mayah! What were you thinking?" he scolded as they sat on the couch. He waited for her to answer. This kind of behavior was unusual for her. He expected Krista to be the rebellious teenager, not Mayah.

"They only wanted to let off some steam. My crew was with her the whole time." Kace offered with a smile. "Besides, it's not like anyone can catch her. You've seen her drive man, she's good."

"Do you think this is a game?" Adriano stood up. He had been silent while Roach lectured the girls but Kace's response struck a nerve. Kace laughed at Adriano's outburst. "You think its funny?" He rushed towards Kace but Mayah grabbed his arm.

"Adriano. Don't...its not his fault. I was the one who drove there. He followed me to the meet."

"Princess, that's where you're wrong. He could've-no he should've called the moment you and your sister drove the wrong way from home!" Adriano put his hands on Mayah's shoulders, turning her to face him. "Princess...do you understand how dangerous your behavior is?" Mayah's tried lower her head to avoid looking him in the eyes. "Mayah." he cupped her chin forcing her to look at him. When she still didn't respond, he shot Roach a worried glance releasing her.

"Since you girls won't listen and cant seem to follow the rules, you both are quitting your job."

"Daddy, are you serious?" Krista whined.

"Shut up!" he roared making both girls flinch. "Tomorrow's your last day. You both are quitting" He shot Krista a look daring her to question him. "I warned you what would happen if you didn't listen."

Kace's grin disappeared from his face.

"But dad.." Krista pleaded.

"No. No buts...and Kace... if they are one minute late tomorrow getting home after they get off work, you and whoever you choose to escort them will have me to deal with. Go to your rooms." he instructed. He watched as the girls silently followed his orders.

"Roach...they are just acting out. Mayah was just having harmless fun." Kace knew with Marco now out of jail, everyone was on edge. He walked past Roach heading to the door. Without warning Roach grabbed him by the back of his shirt slamming him against the wall.

"I dare you to say one more word." he dared him as he gripped his throat. "Get out." Releasing his grip he backed away watching Kace scramble to his feet and stumble towards the door catching his breath.

Adriano normally would take pleasure in watching Kace getting beat since he doesn't like him but was too worried to care under the circumstances. He had spent almost every day tracking Marco and Jackson down with no luck. He knew that they were not the type of men to just move on and let Krista and Mayah live their lives uninterrupted, and by Mayah's recent behavior, so did she. She had become distant and more rebellious. He was so lost in his thoughts, he didn't notice Roach hand him a glass of whiskey until he cleared his throat. Snapping out of his gaze, he shook his head. "No thanks man. I'm going to get going." He had no intentions of sitting around while Mayah was self destructing. I need my princess back was all he could think as he walked out the door.