Chapter 19

Mayah and Krista busied themselves around the kitchen while Kace sat and watched them in amusement. They hoped that with all the different foods that they have cooked, Roach would be in a better mood.

"Krista, they've been in there forever. Should we let them know that the food is done?" Mayah asked as she pulled the cake from the oven.

"No. Not yet. The table isn't even set yet." She leaned past her sister to check out the cake. "Kace, since you aren't doing anything except watching us cook...how about you set the table?"

"Krista, I'm on vacation. You want me to work?"

"I'm asking you to set the table, not do hard labor. Go!" hissed Krista.

"I think I need to make one more dessert," sighed Mayah as she mixed the icing for the cake.

"I think you girls are trying to make me get fat. Your old man is going to have to get on a diet after tonight," said Roach jokingly as he entered the kitchen.

Krista turned to face her dad as he and Adriano walked around the kitchen inspecting the variety of foods that the girls cooked. "You're not supposed to be in the kitchen dad. Kace is setting the table. We will bring out the food."

After Roach and Adriano left the kitchen, Mayah and Krista started to carry the food dishes out to the dining room. Once they have set all the food on the table, they took their seats. Mayah and Krista sat on each side or Roach with Adriano and Carlos sitting next to them leaving Kace and Mateo to be seated last. Dinner started off quietly with no one saying much aside from complementing the girls on the food they cooked. Once dinner was over with and dessert was served, Roach cleared his throat. He looked around the table to make sure he had everyone's attention before speaking.

"The food was so good that I couldn't say what was really on my mind." He took a sip of his beer before speaking again. "It's nice to see that my girls have been well taken care of. Adriano, I owe you an apology. I accused you of taking advantage of Mayah when all you and your brother have done is kept my girls safe. You have trust...and my blessing." He raised his bottle of beer towards Adriano before taking another drink from the bottle.

Mayah and Krista grinned at each other before hugging Roach tightly. Mayah let out a sigh of relief as she smiled at Adriano from the corner of her eye.

Adriano grabbed his beer from the table. He looked around at everyone's faces at the table before taking a drink "Thank you Roach. And since I have your trust and blessing...I have an announcement to make." He stood up pushing his chair back from the table and turned towards Mayah. "Princess, you are the strongest person I have ever met. No matter what you say or think, you are beautiful both inside and out and I want to be with you everyday to remind you how beautiful and strong you are. To love and protect you." Mayah held her breath as he dropped to one knee and pulled out a velvet box from his pocket. "Mayah Gabriela Cortez, will you make me the happiest man alive? Princess...will you marry me?"

Mayah's eyes filled with tears of happiness. She couldn't believe her ears. She looked at her dad for approval, afraid to answer. He had all but thrown a temper tantrum because she and Adriano were holding hands earlier that same day. He nodded with a wink and a smile on his face.

"Oh my god Adriano! Yes!" she squealed laughing herself into his arms. After hugging for a few moments, they withdrew from each other. She smiled as he slipped the engagement ring on her finger.

Krista went to hug her sister and congratulate her. "This is so exciting! I can't wait! We have to go dress shopping!"

"Krista!" giggled Mayah. "You just want an excuse to drag me shopping!" She smiled as she looked around the table until her gaze landed on Kace who was scowling. Choosing to act as if she didn't see the obvious anger in his face she turned towards her father giving him a hug. "Thank you daddy!" She knew that it must have been hard for him to give Adriano his permission to propose.

"You're welcome." He kissed the crown of her head before turning towards Adriano. "If you hurt her, the Devils Angels will come for you...and I will kill you." Roach smiled at Adriano once his verbal threat was finished.

"That will never happen," responded Adriano as he sat back down at the table.

"So, what's the plan? Are you going to get married here?" asked Krista. "A beach wedding would be awesome!"

"Krista, it's too early to know that." Mayah said as she took a sip of her water.

"Actually Princess...I was hoping you would be okay with a wedding in Europe. Italy, maybe even France."

"Are you serious? Adriano...Europe?!" Mayah was speechless.

"Hermano, you are setting the bar kind of high," joked Carlos as he gave Krista a hug.

"If that's okay with you, Princess." He smiled as he waited for her to respond.

Not trusting herself to speak, Mayah nodded.

"It's settled then. We're going to Europe." he said with a smile on his face. She just made him the happiest man alive.