Chapter 19

Jayden's pov. 

It's been two days since Kam saved me from Frost. I don't remember exactly what happened and Kam won't tell me. The last thing I recall was being whipped while Kam was chained up in a cage. 

I've been resting over the past few days. Copper has been taking care of me. Kam only came in once to see how much I remembered. I wished that he would have come to visit me more, I didn't like thinking that he and Olivia were hanging out alone. I haven't seen Symon, Lilly, or Olivia at all. Copper has been treating my back, mending the scars on my back. I wondered why Olivia couldn't just come in a heal me, but I guessed she just wasn't good at healing magic, it was the hardest kind and very few mages bothered to learn it. 

One the third day, Kam came in with a strange look on his face. He came over and sat on the edge of my bed.

"How are you?" he asked. 

"I fell better," I said.

"We'll be going back to the castle today if you're up for it," Kam said.

"Will you tell me what happened, how did we escape?" I questioned. 

"Another day," he whispered. 

"You know my real name now, don't you?" I asked.

"You have and will always be Jayden the street rat," he said. 

I smiled a little. He knew who I was, he knew what I went through, but he didn't care. I liked me for who I was now, not who I used to me.

"Let's go home," I said. 

"I'll pack up the horses, met you outside," Kam responded before packing up.

___

We got home in a little over a day and a half. Symon and Lilly rode back to Ucatoo. When we got home, Copper was tasked with returning the horses and our supplies. In the meantime, Kam and I went to inform the king that we had failed to kill Witchit.

"Again, you have failed to execute Witchit," King Stephan said. 

"With all due respect, we-" Kam began.

"I don't think that Witchit deserves to be killed-" Kam and the king turned to look at me in puzzlement- "He saved me. Sure, he put me in danger, but he could have let me die with Frost, instead, he chose to tell Kam where I would be. Without Kam there, I would have never returned here."

"That doesn't change the fact that you failed your mission," King Stephan whispered, "But... Sir Kameron, thank you for bringing Jayden home safe."

He nodded his head.

"You may leave."

Kam bowed his head before leaving the room. I was left allow with King Stephan.

"Did you train?" he asked.

"Kam taught me how to use a sword. I don't think I've mastered it, but I do know how to defend myself," I said. 

"Will you stop calling your knight by his nickname, it's strange. You aren't friends, he is just paid to hang out with you," the king scoffed. 

That wasn't true, Kam was my friend. He told me so... Unless he was paid to say that. But if he was being paid they why would he join me in the barn, he wasn't on duty then. But then again, he never visited me when I was healing at Olivia's...

No, Kam was my friend.

"I can use a sword," I said, not wanting to think about Kam anymore.

"Good, because you have a new mission, and though Sir Kameron will be going with you, it is you alone that will have to complete the assignment," the king said.