Chapter 3

Jayden pov.

Me, a prince? I snickered at the thought. I wasn't a prince, I was a street kid. I didn't know anything about being a prince. Then again, princes don't starve, that was something I did know. But leaving my home on the streets, leaving my people, it didn't seem right.

"With all due respect, I am right where I belong," I told the queen.

She seemed shocked. I don't blame her, what kid in their right mind would turn down free riches and never having to work a day in their life. At least I assume that's what a prince does.

"I can return the gems, and you can let me go on my way. I need to meet back up with my friend. I'm sure you'll find someone 10 times more qualified than me to be the prince," I said.

"No. I want you to be my prince," Queen Amelia stated, "what will it take for you to come with me?"

That was not what I expected. It almost sounded like a threat. She was so caring earlier, what had flipped the switch? I guess she wasn't used to being turned down.

"Alright, I can strike a deal. First, you let me give these gems to my friend. Second, you watch the rest of the auditions to make sure that you really want me. After that, I'll come to be your prince, if you still want me," I said, holding out my hand for her to shake.

"How do I know you won't just leave me?" Queen Amelia asked.

"He can come with me," I said pointing to Kam, "I've never met a guard other than him that was able to keep up with me."

It was true. Usually, I led the guards to that dead-end, did a walk jump, and they would admit defeat. Kam was the only person that had actually continued to chase after me. I was impressed.

"Fine, you have a deal," she said, shaking my hand, "and take this to your friend as well." She handed me one of her many bracelets. I stared at it for a second before pocketing it. I had never held something so expensive. It was an honor.

"I'll be back," I assured her.

She nodded ber head and walked off. I looked over to Kam. The other two guards walked off and it was just me and him.

"You got lucky," he said.

"I know. Come on, you're buying me food."

"I am not," Kam stated flatly.

"I got no money other than these gems and no one will take them since it will be seen as treason. My friend will have to get outta town to get any type of money from these. We don't have time for that and I told my friend I would be back with food," I explained. I didn't care how much convincing it would take, Kam was buying me food. I was starving after the chase.

"Why do you keep calling her your friend, just tell me her name," Kam said.

"You know nothing about street rules. You don't have a right to tell people your friends' names, especially royals," I explained. Names could be used as a weakness. You could tell people your name, but if you ever said the name of your friend it was seen as a betrayal. Kam was lucky he even knew the gender of Brandy.

"Tell me, is your name really Jayden?" he asked.

"I've never lied about my name, though Jayden wasn't the name my parents gave me. That name is dead," I said. I had changed my name when my parents left me. I didn't want anything to do with them, including the name they gave me.

"I'll buy you food if you tell me the name your parents gave you," Kam said.

"Fine, but if you tell anyone you will be dead to me. Not even my friend knows what it is," I said.