The Phantom Thief Part 1: The Puple Diamond

Shuichi's POV
I shouldn't have taken this case. It's almost always impossible to catch him.

The phantom thief.

Whenever I think I'm one step ahead he is always a mile in front of me. So many things have been stolen ranging from expensive paintings to precious relics. He never leaves any evidence behind other than the missing object almost as if he was never there.

"Shuichi is there any new information about the case?" Kyoko asked, putting a hand on my shoulder to get my attention. Damn it! I zoned out again...

"No, he is almost like a ghost, it was like he was never here..." I said looking down trying to suppress my anger. Why is he so good at this? I can't help but think that this is just a way he found to be able to screw with me.

"Well, he is called the phantom thief after all..." She said taking the case folder that was almost empty except for the one picture we got lucky enough to get and a half-assed profile of what information we got from the blurry picture and from the few times me and him would have a one on one conversation.

He was always calling me his beloved and always telling me that the only thing that was worth stealing was my heart. Does he mean it? Why is he toying with my emotions?

"Yeah, I guess you're right Kyoko..." I sighed defeated and grabbed my coat and keys after cleaning up the office and headed home.

When I got home I walked up to my pinboard which had all the information I could find about this "Phantom Thief". I want to know why he only ever talks to me. Sometimes he confronts me and Kyoko and only addresses me like I'm the only one in the room. I felt my face grow hot. What is this thief doing to me?

I stared at the pinboard trying to process who this thief could be, but every single time I thought about it I drew a blank. Irritated by my feelings and by the lack of information I huffed and walked over to my bed. Quickly tossing my keys and coat to the side before falling on my bed. I looked over at the board one more time feeling a sense of loneliness growing in my heart before I huffed and let sleep consume me.

. . .

Another day. Sigh. Why does this have to be the only thing I do every day? It's not that I don't like trying to solve the mystery of the Phantom Thief, it's just that I get irritated every single time that he teases me and tries to play with my emotions that are making no sense.

Yesterday I called my friend Kaede before she had to go to a big performance of hers. She mostly talked about how much she likes playing the piano and she asked me how my case was going.

I told her about the Phantom Thief case and told her about how confused he was making me. How we couldn't find any evidence. How we couldn't find any traces of DNA or anything to find out his identity.

I told her how annoying it was when he was toying with me and she laughed telling me I think you might be in love with him Shuichi. I denied this telling her it wasn't like that. How could a detective fall in love with a Phantom Thief? There's no way right?

I got into my car after changing and taking a shower. I drove to the station and saw that Kyoko was already there. She always seems to beat me here no matter how early I wake up... Does she even go home? Does she even sleep?

I laughed to myself knowing that Mokoto wouldn't let Kyoko overwork herself or let herself get too exhausted. They share an apartment and they get along pretty well knowing that they don't see each other that often. It makes me happy that my partner has found someone who can make her smile. I felt the feeling of loneliness again and shook my head. No time to deal with nonsense!

"Hey, Shuichi!" She called over to me when I walked through the door.

"Yeah?" I asked walking over to the desk she was at and looking at the documents spread across the table.

"We finally found some correlation with where the thief is going." She said pointing to the map in the center of the spread-out documents. It had dots on all the places he has hit so far and there was a big circle around a museum that had one of the most expensive and rare gems ever known.

The Puple Diamond.

It was a medium-sized gem but the one thing that made it so extraordinary is the way it could change different colors if danger was near and some say it could tell the future.

"H-how?" I asked looking at the map. How did I not see this before? All the other times he has stolen were all leading up to the biggest prize.

"We don't have time, we have to get over there now!" Kyoko said running out of the station and getting into her car. I followed close behind. We drove as quickly as we could to the museum. We rushed in and saw the gem was still there. I took in a sigh of relief before it was in vain.

"Oh mister detective!~" The Phantom Thief called out in his normal teasing tone making me glare in the direction it came from.

"I'm going to put a stop to this and you will be behind bars!" I yelled as he went out to the balcony. I rushed after him, leaving Kyoko behind.

"Oh, you followed me out here? Don't you know how dangerous I could be Mister Detective~?" He said, turning around to face me.

"Why do you do this?" I asked, staring him down and looking at his purple eyes through his mask.

"Because I love the troubled face you are making right now." He paused and walked over standing right in front of me.

"And I love you Mister Detective~," He said before putting his lips on mine. I was so startled and confused before I gave in to what my body was telling me and kissed back.

It wasn't very long because he had to get away and the police were coming up the stairs to the balcony. I grabbed his hand not wanting him to leave blushing at this fact.

"Wh-" He started but I interrupted him.

"I don't want you to go..." I said looking down a blush across my entire face.

"But I have to-"

"I understand," I said letting my grip on his hand missing the warmth of it in mine right when they were apart.

"Well, Mister Detective. I fulfilled my objective so I'm giving up being a thief~," He said lifting my head up to make me look him in the eyes.

"But you..."

"I stole your heart so now I'm satisfied. I don't need to steal anything else anymore." He said placing the gem in my hand before leaving in an instant.

I stood there in shock watching him run away. I traced my lips with my finger putting a smile on my face.

You stole my heart, you damn thief.

-Kokichi's love hotel event cracks me up. I have wanted to do this AU forever so here you go...thanks for reading!-

-ShuichiOuma010-