Part Forty Four: Never is too late

[A/N: Alas! The last chapters so we can start off with the third installment. A lot has happened to me and was too busy to finish this. But I will make time! Anyway, spoiler alert! Major song stuff here, if you caught yourself singing to it while reading, lemme know!]

Luke's P.O.V

She was looking at me curiously.

What now, Hemmings? Think! Ugh, here goes nothing...

"Late for what?" she asked smiling - and, mind you, smiling but curiously.

"I know it's been crazy," I started. "There were things said and done. And, well, Michelle is missing, Calum is so depressed. I know Ashton and Michael, too. I am, as well. She's been our sister since then. You, too. But, umm, I'm not saying this now to be selfish but I just, I, well, I kinda, mmm."

I stopped. Is this the right time to say this? I thought.

"What?" She giggled, waiting for me to continue. "Come on now, Luke. Spill it out."

I looked at her straight in the eyes before sighing and continuing, "I just wanna know, am I too late now?"

She just looked at me, as if she was trying to process what I just said.

"I know," I continued. "I know I've done a lot, some did hurt your feelings. But, God knows, Dey, I've been trying to. I wanted to tell you what I feel inside yet I don't wanna hurt you, because I'm scared. But, I don't know, I feel like I'm always too late even when I don't wanna be too late. Whenever I see you I always hesitate--"

"Luke," she started, as if she just found her voice to speak.

"No, Dey, just please listen to me," I cut her off. "Please. I know, Louis and stuff. By now, you probably like him. He's Louis fucking Tomlinson! And I'm just Luke who knows Hemmings, a stupid dork who's trying so hard. I'm just a---"

"You're Luke Hemmings," she said. I stopped, looking at her. I didn't bother to cut her off now, I just looked at her, ready to listen to whatever she has to say, hoping for the worst. Yes, the worst. "You're Luke fucking Hemmings. Not as great, maybe, as other boys. But you are uniquely amazing. The way you smile, laugh. How dorky you are. And, damn, Luke, I fell in love with that."

Wait, did she just said that? Did I heard that correctly?

"I did, Luke," she said, confirming, as if she knows what I was thinking. "And, I still am, to be honest. But, I'm sorry, Luke. It's not that you're too late, never is too late."

"Louis," I said quietly, looking down.

"Yes, Luke," she continued, reaching for my hand. "I kinda thought this would never happen, like we'll never talk about this. I stopped hoping. And I decided to open myself to something new. To someone new. And Louis was there. He came along."

"Is there no other way?" I asked, I can feel my eyes watering. "You guys are not even together, right? You're just dating. And you just said you still love me. Then why say sorry like we can't give it a try anymore?"

"We're not together," she said, as she squeezes my hand. "But I don't want Louis to feel the same way I did. Somehow he already took a part of my heart. Small, but he already did. I want to give him a chance. Something I've waited for a long time with you."

"Dey," I said, sniffing. This time my tears fell. I know I should have expected it.

"I'm sorry, Luke," she said, pulling me into a hug.

I hugeed her back, burrying my face in her neck, "It's okay. I'm sorry, too."

[A/N: One last chapter to end this and I'll start with Book 3. Still in doubt whether to do Ashton first or Michael. No worries, Luke and Dey, and Michelle and Calum stories will still be in the next books given that these are series.

By the way, seen the song reference up there? If not, better read it again!

I hope no one is mad at me for putting an end like this to Luke and Dey. But, hey, this is just book 2. We'll see what will happen to them in the next books. Maybe there's still hope, maybe not. My mind is crazy, you know.]