Chapter 28: Tom and Parry

'Why he is not picking the call... I even tried his landline.' Shaan Pick up...

Shaan came out of his dorm. I have to reach and find out. As per media reports he is going to start his journey. How can he go there and fight alone? I have to go there. Shaan took his backpack... put his important possessions and headed straight to Ryan's home.

After 12 hours of the journey he reached Ryan's house. Shaan entered the house... it was looking empty.

'Is there anybody?' No answer. Shaan left the courtesies and banged the doors several times. No answer.

Shaan decided to open the door. He brought his new invention. He just opened his backpack and brought out his new gun. He pulled the trigger aiming at the doorknob. Bang!. Doorknob evaporated. Shaan put the gun back into his backpack and came inside the house. The smell of dust pierced his nose. The sound of his footsteps echoed as he treaded the small distance within the room.

Shaan further went ahead. He went to the side room which looked like Ryan's room. The photograph which he observed during his earlier visit was still there but dusted. Megan should have been there.

Shaan switched on the computer. It didn't. Shaan gave a slight hit at the back of the monitor. The display became active. Will I be able to go beyond the login screen. I don't have the password. Neither my fingerprints match. It must have been configured to identify the correct user. Without the help of Ryan I won't be able to open it.

There was a sound at the door. It seems someone is coming, who can be that? Shaan hid behind the door.

'Who is there? Who had opened the door?' a lady came inside shouting loudly. 'Whosoever is there. Listen I am going to leave you. The whole is going through its biggest challenge ever and you have barged inside my home. If you came inside for food or money, I can help but it is not good to blast someone's doorknob with a gun or whatever it was a welding machine and come inside.'

Shaan's body was wet with the echoes of the voice of that lady. Being hidden between the door and the wall, he still could not understand the exact words of this lady. I should be ready for any attack. I never wanted to use the gun against human beings but it is necessary then so be it. Shaan brought out his newly invented gun from his backpack. He pulled the trigger and held his position.

The lady searched in the guestroom. There is nobody. He could be hiding in the kitchen if he came for food. Who knows? It can be a pet animal who has been left stranded by their unworthy owners. The lady searched all the room she could not find anyone.

The gun hit the door while Shaan was maintaining the target. The lady heard. Who can be there? Ryan has left long back. Let me check it. The lady slowly moved to Ryan's room.

The old memories of her and Ryan in that room flashed in her mind. She remembered an incident of their childhood when she and Ryan were working on homework assignments.

******

'Come and take your orange juice,' his Ryan's mom Jennifer once again called him.

'Coming mom........', said Ryan looking at the door. Ryan was a 14 year old child back then. His fingers were moving fast to locate the target. Ryan turned his head to the screen hitting the enemy in the game of Counter-Strike. Hit sound.

Ryan brought his head closer to the computer screen to spot another enemy coming from the front. Jennifer once again called him.

'Ryan come now, the juice is ready. What are you busy with? Did you complete your homework?'