Chapter 7: The GRIID Interrupted

Ryan reached the US in the night, had a few hours of sleep. He knew it was going to be a busy day.

'Wake up Ryan'

'Wake up Ryan, it's a brand new day'

Ryan had woken up already but these lines from his iPad alarm app were missing today. There was no need to configure the alarms since the GRIID powered app calculated exactly when to wake him up depending on his day's schedule. Ryan's iPad did not fail to wake him up with a sweet alarm tone in the last several years. Ryan just woke up off the bed. Maybe GRIID has decided to give me some more sleeping time for my services in support of GRIID. Ryan straightway went into the bathroom.

Ryan picked up his dark blue socks. Should I call her, but she said that she will be very busy with the experiments which could go on late at night. Anyways it is only me who keeps calling. This time let her call me. She just went off to Greenland after sending a message. Let's wait for her call. Ryan was reasoning with himself. His feet were already inside the socks. Now it was time for shoes. Ryan picked up his iPad with one hand and a pair of shoes with another. There were a lot of messages from his colleagues. Ryan checked the last location of Megan; it was at the north pole. So she had reached the right place. This means she is busy with her experiments. Ryan tied up the shoelaces realizing that the left-handed socks were in the right foot and the right one was in the left foot. Shit once again. But there is no time for all this. Today I have worked on the school-feedback project for GRIID interactivity. Who is going to know if I am wearing mismatched socks under my shoes?

Ran started his car and switched on the auto-drive system. It was taking much longer to locate the best route to his office, the GRIID. Why is it this slow, maybe a hardware issue. After around a few minutes the office was located using information saved in the cache, but the route was still unavailable. Unless the route is calculated and selected by the User, the auto-drive of the vehicle cannot latch it to the city's transport run by the GRIID. Ryan bumps off the wheel in front of him. It seems there is something wrong with my autodrive software, no problem dear Ryan today Ryan will drive the car himself. Ryan rationalized the decision to drive by linking this with his innate desire to drive on the road which had remained unfulfilled for a long time.

Ryan throttled his car to full speed; on the road he saw a huge traffic jam. Oh so it was not only me. Let me maneuver my way through the streets of New York City. Ryan was not ready to concede the present day, even if the whole universe conspired to not let him reach office on time. After a few left and right turns he forgot his way to the office. Oh Shit. GRIID is not able to tell the best route, whole traffic is a mess. What's going on.

Ryan used his gut feeling and reached office though slightly late. As soon as he entered through the door he saw Mitt walking down towards him.

'Ryan , Ryan we have a big problem. I was searching for you where you have been.'

'I understand since you are coming toward me with unusually high paced steps. But what happened, why are you sweating?'

'I called you back from your vacation, sorry for that Ryan. You have to do urgent troubleshooting... GRIID is offline,' Mitt said while both were walking towards Mitt's office room.

'What the GRIID is off... How is this... Not even possible,' Mitt along with Ryan entered his office. There was a call on the land-line of Mitt. Land-line telephone continued to exist in the era of GRIID as a sign of formality.

'This is what... You see the halted traffic around the city,' Mitt pointed towards the traffic on the road outside his office seen from the window with one hand and picked the call with another hand,