Chapter 20: Cursor Party

When Ryan floated the idea of throwing a small party to celebrate the success of the Cursor technology and victory in the Supreme Court, Megan resisted it. Megan's view was that they should concentrate on things that are more important at this time. Even though the Supreme Court given orders in favor of the Cursors still the fear of opposition by certain quarters was not yet gone. Ryan argued that the party is not to change the focus but to clear the air among the close friends to erode the misconception they could have. Further Ryan also wanted to enhance the team by adding like-minded and committed people but only after knowing them personally. This party could bring opportunities for Ryan to get the first hit towards potential team members. Though not fully convinced Megan accepted the idea and fixed the evening of next weekend for the party.

Party started at a venue chosen by Susan. It as a big banquet hall with ornate decorations. Awasthy was busy welcoming the guests. Ryan was waiting for Megan to arrive but she was taking an eternity in choosing her dress. Though Ryan disliked the formals, tonight he was dressed in fitting formals. He also applied gel in hair and combed it in the Dicaprio style. He was sure by the time party ends the hair will increase their entropy and return to their ground state by aligning into the Eddy Murphy style.

Awasthy came to Ryan and asked what he was waiting for. Ryan avoided replying but Awasthy prodded again, Ryan mumbled 'nothing' is such a way that nothing could be heard clearly. Bill a childhood friend of Ryan had arrived. This gave a chance to Ryan, he excused himself from Awasthy and waived at Bill came straight to the doors to receive him. Awasthy commented to Susan who has already arrived, 'did you see'. Bill met Ryan as if he was meeting his longtime friend. Ryan replied with the same warmth. Ryan shook hands with Bill and turned inside.

'Hi,' this voice was from behind. Ryan turned back as he instantly knew that this was Megan. Megan was dressed in a green formal low cut dress. Only the tiara was missing to make her look fairy. Though she was still looking like one.

'Welcome.'

'Thank you.'

'You are a little bit late. I have been calling you for long.'

'Why being late is copyright of boys only. When did you call me..,' Megan instinctively put her hands in pockets to fetch her phone but there was no pocket in the green gown, 'Oh no, I have missed my phone.. it seems I forgot it at home.'

'No problem.. I only wanted to say that I had been waiting for some time.'

'So what, I had been waiting for a long time.'

'What?'

'Well it took a long time to prepare for this party.'

Megan exchanged greetings with Bill, Awasthy and Susan also.

A young boy had also entered the party but nobody could recognize him.

'Hello, Ms. Megan, and hello Mr. Ryan.'

'Hello young man, welcome here,' Ryan was surprised with the confidence of the young boy. His face seemed quite familiar as if he had seen him before. Ryan tried to search his memory space.

'Hello Rick, how are you doing and how is your school,' Megan extended her hand to welcome him as she knew him already. As soon as Ryan heard the word school, something struck into his mind.

'Yes, you are Rick, I met you in the during the event in Fairemont School. I also installed a copy of The Cooperation Game in our school.'

'Yes Mr. Ryan, the game was an instant hit in the school. I also shared the copy to some neighboring schools.'

'Nice to hear that Rick.'

Awasthy came to the center stage. Megan picked up a wine glass, while Ryan only wanted to hear what Awasthy was going to say.

'Ladies and Gentlemen, let me first thank all of you for gracing the evening with your wonderful presence. As you all know we have been through some tough times. But let me request to keep all that aside for the time being. I had been away from my own invention 'Cursors' for 15 years. And when I met it again it was by accident. I met Megan or Megan met me. We met once again near the north pole, then I met Ryan and he had somehow got a copy of Cursor on his computer. And then everything went on leading to the announcement at the Mega-event. Today let me tell all of you that it was not an accident. No piece of this entire sequence was an accident. I designed the entire cascade of events. I always wanted to fulfill my responsibility for sustaining the Cursors. So I only sent the Cursor, Chris the Cursor, to his computer. Now since Cursors have been legally recognized, I felt the responsibility to share this fact with you all.'

Ryan looked a Megan with an open mouth, Megan almost dropped her glass. Awasthy continued.

'Now Ryan is very much convinced about the usefulness of the Cursor invention and working hard to constantly improve it. Dear ladies & gentlemen before I finish let me also announce the engagement of Mr. Ryan with Ms. Megan.'

Ryan looked at Megan, the wine glass dropped off her hands. Megan was trying to covering his mouth but the big smile was clearly visible. Awasthy gave Ryan thumbs up from a distance. Ryan was trying to act as if he did not know anything. Megan understood what was meant when Ryan told her that he had said 'waited longtime' that day.

Awasthy called both of them in the center stage. Ryan had put his right hand into the right pocket and picked up the box of the ring he had brought. Megan was teary. Ryan opened up the box took up the diamond ring and slid it into the finger of left hand Megan.

There was a huge round of applause. A huge Cursor shaped cake was brought in. Ryan and Megan cut the cake. Ryan put the knife on the cake and cut it slowly. Megan held the hand of Ryan looking into each other.

There was boom sound and white fog started filling the banquet hall. Nobody could understand what was going on. Everybody thought it was also part of Ryan's plan. The white fog had totally engulfed the banquet hall. The electricity supply was interrupted. Nothing was visible. Ryan shouted, 'who is there'. He was holding the hands of Megan a few seconds ago.

'Megan... Megan.'

No reply came. The electricity supply was resumed. The cloud of white fog started settling. The guests were searching for the partners they came with. Most of the guests did find their partners but some did not. Ryan tried to locate Megan but no vein. Mr. Awasthy was also not seen anywhere. A lady in a white gown came to Ryan and asked about her husband. Ryan listened but could not give a satisfactory reply as to what had happened. A total of 11 persons including Megan and Mr. Awasthy were missing. Ryan spoke to every guest took the details of their companions who went missing and bid them goodbye with an assurance that he would do his best to find them. Though he knew inside that it was going to be difficult work.

Ryan rushed to check his iPad. After unlocking it what he saw was blew his mind. There was a message left by Anti-Cursor.

'Dear Ryan, Congratulations on your engagement. We have been playing hide and seek game for some time, so for the sake of this friendship this was the gift from my side. I have taken away these people. I am sure that they are going to be happy with me.'

============================