Faith Is All You Need

"How long has Allan Mitchell been abusing you?"

I have been sitting on the couch at the Knight's home, facing two police officers. I have only been from the hospital seven hours, before they got here.

I didn't know that talking about my abuse would be so hard. Just thinking about it was making memories that I wish I didn't remember flashed through my mind. I felt Carson squeezed my hand in reassurance and I looked up at him. I was glad that he was here with me. I didn't think that I could do this alone.

I looked towards the officer who had asked the question. He was blonde and probably in his forties. He had a kind and understanding look on his face. "Six months after my mother died two years ago." I answered.

He wrote on the small notepad that was in his hands, before looking at me again. "Has he ever hit your mother?"

I shook my head. "No. At least I don't think so. I've never seen him hit her before."

He nodded his head and then his partner spoke up. His partner was dark skinned and younger. He looked to be in his early thirties. He also gave me a kind and sympathetic look. "What kind of relationship did you and your stepfather had before? Did you think that he would have done this?"

"He did not talk to me much. He never had a personal or casual conversation with me. He only talked to me when he wanted something." I shook my head. "Most times, I would think that I was an added responsibility and nuisance to his life. I knew he didn't care about me, but I never thought he would ever hit me."

Honestly, I knew now that that was the reason he abused me. He resented my mother for beginning me into his life. He resented me for being a responsibility that he didn't want. He probably didn't want any children. He didn't care for them and my mother brought me into his home.

When I was finished speaking, the officer who had asked the question, looked at his elder partner, wondering if he had any more questions for me. I really wished they didn't, because I didn't want to talk about this anymore. I've been talking about this for ten minutes now and the more I brought up memories, the more choked up I get.

Unfortunately, that wasn't going to happen as the blonde officer spoke again. "Could you explain to us in what way were you abused and what kind of weapons would he use?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked over at Carson. He gave me a reassuring smile and I looked back to the officers. "His abuse was always physical. He would hit me, shoved me down the stairs, burned me...anything he found or was close to him, he'd throw it at me. He..." I paused as I tried to resurface the memories without breaking down. "He beat me with a bat once." I responded, feeling the tears trickle down my cheeks as I recalled the gruesome memory.

Talking about my abuse was harder than I thought. I wanted to be strong about it, but I guess I just couldn't. I was becoming a rollercoaster of emotions. Everything that Allan put me through came crashing back to me. I looked to the floor as silent tears stream down my face. I knew I couldn't continue without breaking down.

I felt Carson gave my hand a light squeeze again, before he began to rub light, soothing circles on the back of my hand. He looked at me with a worried expression, before turning to the officers. "Are you done with asking questions? This is getting too much for her." He said to the officers in a firm voice.

They both gave me a sad and sympathetic look and nodded their heads. "Yes, that will be all." The blonde officer said, then looked to me and asked. "Will you be testifying against him in court?" I nodded my head in confirmation because I couldn't speak. "Okay, thanks for your time." They both gave me a smile and then stood up.

I nodded my head again and Carson got up to walk them to the door. He closed the door and walked back over to the couch where I was still sitting. He sat beside me again and used his hand to lift my chin up. "Are you alright?" His eyes searched my face.

"Yes, I will be." I breathed out. He used the soft pad of his thumb to wipe the tears from my cheek. He wrapped his arms around me and I rest my head on his shoulder. The next thing I know, I fell asleep.

******

I woke up to find that I was in a bedroom. After becoming fully awake and looked around, I saw that I was in Carson's room. He must have brought me here when I fell asleep in the living room.

I looked at the time on the clock that was by the bedside and saw that it was ten o'clock at night. I started to turn around, but couldn't because of a weight that was around me. That's when I noticed that I wasn't alone in the bed. I struggled to turn around and came face to face with Carson. His eyes were already open from my movements.

Just then, realization came to me and my eyes widen. I sat up slightly on the bed and stared down at him. "Carson, what are you doing here?" I asked.

He looked at my stricken face and smiled. "I live here." He answered smartly, his eyes twinkling in amusement.

I rolled my eyes and hit him on his shoulder. "That's not what I mean. Why are you here, shouldn't you be at the championship match?"

"I told them I wasn't going." He said as if it was nothing. "I couldn't leave you to be by yourself. I know you are still shaken up after what happened. So I decided to stay here with you."

I looked at him as if he has lost his mind. He can't just decide not to fight. I know how much he was depending on it. I shook my head. "Carson, I'm fine. You can't do that. You have to call them and tell them you have changed your mind." I started to look for his phone.

Carson rest his hand on my shoulder to calm me down. "Kayla, calm down. The fight should have started at eight o'clock. I've already cancelled, it's a done deal. You can't change your mind." He explained. "Besides, it's no big deal."

"How can you say that it's 'no big deal'? I know you were counting on that money to go to college." I sighed and gave him a sad look. "I feel awful."

He put both hands on my cheeks and brought my head down to his to peck my lips. "Kitten, please don't blame yourself. Don't feel bad, because it's not your fault. If I had to do this a second time, I would do the same thing."

I was really happy that he stayed with me, but I couldn't help but feel bad. I knew how much winning this fight meant to his future. "But what about college?" I asked.

He shrugged and gave me a smile. "It's fine. I can skip a year and go to college the following year." He answered.

I was quiet for a while, just looking at him, before shaking my head. "I still can't believe you actually did that." I said. "You are crazy, you know that right?"

He grinned as he look at me. He put his hand on his chin and pretended to think. "Hmmm...I think you have told me before."

"Well, you better get used to it buddy, because I will be telling you a lot." I replied.

Before I had a chance to think, he had me laying on my back again with him hovering over me. I caught my breath from the unexpected movements and looked up into his smiling face.

"I look forward to it." He said, before claiming my lips with his.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
AN: Hello munchkins!

I hope you liked this chapter.

Don't forget to vote, comment and share with your friends.

I love you for reading my story 😘

Alecia