A Second Slip Up

I was soaked from head to toe.

My entire body was shivering from the clothes that clung to my body and my hair was wet.

I was now sheltering under the last bus stop that was near the school. I can't believe it, as soon as I was near school, the rain caught me.

Okay, I said to myself. I have to leave this bus stop, if I have any intention of reaching school on time.

I took a deep breath and ran as fast as I could, this time I didn't stop until I reached the school's door. I opened the door quickly and head straight for the bathroom.

When I was in the bathroom, I wring my hair dry and used the paper towel that was in the bathroom to dry off. It was not much use because I was completely wet.

I looked at myself and sighed. I definitely can't go to class like this. I left the bathroom and walked to Jasmine's locker. Hopefully, she has some extra clothes in her locker to lend me. I knew for sure that I didn't have any.

I was glad when I saw Jasmine at her locker getting her books. She turned around at my presence and her eyes went wide. "Kayla, what happened to you?" She asked.

"I left my umbrella and the rain caught me on the way to school." I said sheepishly. "I was wondering if you could help me."

Jasmine looked at me for a second before she burst out laughing. It was obvious that she couldn't hold it in.

I glared at her. "It's not funny." I replied.

She covered her mouth with her hands and tried to contain her laughter. "Yes it is. Look at you!"

"Yeah, whatever. Can you help me or not?" I asked, getting back to the task at hand.

"Okay, okay. Yes I can." She turned back to her locker once again and retrieve a red T-shirt and dark blue jeans. "Here you go."

I sigh with relief. "Oh thank God. You are a life saver." I said as I took the clothes from her.

She smiled at me. "Thank God you have a best friend that always comes prepared."

"Yep. These definitely comes in handy." I respond. After telling her that I would see her in homeroom, I went back to the bathroom once again.

After changing into Jasmine's clothes, I had to thank my lucky stars again that Jasmine and I wear almost the same size. I was no longer soaked, so I went to class.

******

Kevin and I had just left our history class and was walking down the corridor together.

"Kayla, please tell me you are coming to watch me perform on Sunday evening. Lucas and Jasmine already agreed to come." Kevin said. He has been trying from week to convince me to come to a concert that he will be playing the guitar at.

Kevin could play the guitar well. He was really good. He amazes me with his talent every time he performs. He loves music and wants to go to a performing arts college to be a professional performer. I really wanted to go to the concert, but it was really difficult to leave the house on Sundays without Allan seeing me. Sunday was the only day he stayed home.

After thinking about it again, I realized that I had to accept. Kevin was one of my best friends and I wouldn't miss one of his performances. I have to try and get out of the house without running into Allan. I don't care what it takes me.

I looked at him and smiled. "Okay, I'm in."

"Alright!" He exclaimed, happy with my answer. "Okay, see you after school." He added as he turned in the direction of his last class.

"Okay." I said. I had a free period now, so I decided to go to the library to do some reading.

I was about to walk away, when Carson suddenly appeared beside me. "You really made a spectacle of yourself coming into school wet." He said, stopping me from going anywhere.

"Yes. As you are well aware, it rained this morning and I got drenched while walking." I explained.

"So tell me something, Kitten. Do you have a problem with the school buses or you just love walking?" He asked, moving closer to me.

"Neither of the above. I just prefer walking." I replied, trying to find a way to escape him. "Now, would you please get out of my way? I have somewhere to go."

Carson put both of his hands beside my head, trapping me between him and the lockers. My heart was beating rapidly. It was doing that a lot whenever I was with him. His alluring scent hit me, causing me not to think straight.

"Hmm...now why should I do that?" He asked teasingly. He was so close to me that I could feel his breath on my face. I wonder if he knew what he was doing to me?

"Because I asked nicely." I replied, as soon as I found my voice.

Carson chuckled lightly and began to back away from me. He then stopped abruptly. I looked up at him and saw that his eyes were focused on my neck. His piercing blue eyes were so focused on me that I became self conscious under his intense gaze. He tilted his head slightly, studying me.

My heart started to race again. What was he doing? What was he looking at? Did he plan on kissing me?

I internally shook my head from that bizarre thought. What was I even thinking? What is wrong with you, Kayla?

"What's that on your neck?" Carson asked, before my thoughts could continue to run away with me.

"What?" I asked him confused. What was he talking about?

"Those bruised marks?" He asked furrowing his eyebrows. His playfulness was gone completely and now he had a serious expression in his face.

Bruise marks? I then felt my heart sink with realization.

Oh God...

The rain must have washed off the makeup that I used to conceal my bruises. Now, he was looking at the bruises that Allan gave me last night, when he squeezed my neck. How could I be so stupid? I should have been more aware and noticed it in the bathroom mirror.

"Oh...um...the curling iron burnt me this morning." I lied. I laughed a little. "The curling iron is always burning me." I added, hoping he would fall for that story.

Seriously, Kayla? Curling iron? Couldn't you have come up with something better?

I knew I was a bad liar, but come on, burnt by a curling iron?

His eyebrows pulled together in suspicion. "I've never known a curling iron to do that damage." He replied.

"Yeah, that's because I burnt myself more than once. I'm always so clumsy." I replied, hoping he would drop the subject.

He looked at me for a long while, studying me. "You're lying to me." He finally said.

I felt a lump form in my throat at his words. I was so shock that I couldn't speak to defend myself. He didn't believe me. Normally people would fall for my stories, but now Carson was telling me that he didn't believe me.

Thankfully, I found my voice just in time. "You are so paranoid. What do you mean by you don't believe me? What else could it be?" I asked trying to sound convincing.

"I'm no fool, Kayla. I know the difference between a bruise and a curling iron burn." He responded, his eyes boring into mine. He then turned and walked away without another word.

I stood where I was and watched him leave. I then closed my eyes, resting my head on the locker behind me and sighed. I can't believe what had just happened.

What have you gotten yourself into, Kayla?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A/N: Thank you for reading my story. It really means a lot to me.

Please leave your comments. Your support is much appreciated.

Don't forget to vote and share with your friends! ❤

Stay unique!

Much love 😘

Alecia