Just When I Thought Things Couldn't Get Any Worse

On Wednesday afternoon, Mr. Knight asked to talk to me. I took my time walking down the long winding stairs. I didn't know what he wanted to talk to me about and I was dreading the conversation.

Carson who was with me, sat on the couch beside me. We were facing his father who was sitting on the recliner. Mr. Knight gave me a regretful look and clasped his hands in front of him. "I don't think it's best for you to stay here any longer."

I felt my world start to crumble when he said this. I wasn't expecting this at all. Carson spoke up. "Why?"

Mr. Knight looked at me as he spoke. "I don't mind you staying here, but I have to be practical. What if your stepfather go to the police and demand you come back home? The authorities will come here, because you are still under eighteen. I can't take that kind of publicity."

Mr. Knight did not know what used to happen at my house. He didn't know that my stepfather abuses me. He only knew that I was having some issues with my stepfather and I couldn't stay there. He wouldn't have suggested I go back there if he knew.

Carson sprang up from the couch, his body rigid. "No Dad, Kayla is not going back there." He said adamantly.

Mr. Knight looked up at his son. "Look Carson, she has to go back there sooner or later. I know you don't want that, but it's for the best." He tried to reason.

"Yeah, best for you." Carson said. He was now running his hands through his hair and placing the floor frustratingly.

Carson's father sighed. "I'm not trying to be mean. You have to understand, I'm thinking about the consequences."

"I understand clearly. You don't want to tarnish your reputation. As usual, you are only thinking about yourself." Carson spun around instantly and walked to the door.

"Carson," Mr. Knight called after him. "Carson!" But Carson went through the door, slamming it behind him.

Mr. Knight and I were now the only occupants in the living room. I looked down at my hands in my lap, feeling uncomfortable. Mr. Knight sighed again, before looking at me.

"I'm really sorry, Kayla. You must understand. I don't think it's right for you to stay here without a parent or guardian consent." He reasoned with me. His tone was filled with his apology.

The fear that engulf my body since he said that I couldn't stay here anymore, had now turned into terror. I couldn't go back home. Allan would kill me. I know he would. The image of what Allan would do to me started to play in my head. I could see it clearly; like I was watching a movie.

There I am cowering in a corner as Allan does his worst to me. He'd curse also, throwing hit and punch after every swear word. Maybe this time, he'd use a weapon that would most definitely leave permanent damages. I wouldn't be able to move. The pain will be too much...

I was brought from my terrifying daydream by the sound of Mr. Knight's voice. "Maybe you can let me talk to your stepfather. In that way, I can know he is okay with you staying here." He suggested.

To be honest, I understand where Mr. Knight was coming from. He didn't know about my situation and he wanted to do the right thing. I couldn't fault him for that. If anything I was grateful to him for letting me stay here in the first place. However, there was no way I'm letting him talk to Allan, so avoiding his suggestion, I looked up at him, my eyes watery. "Please Mr. Knight, just give me one week." I said. I was hoping that by then, I could find an alternative.

Mr. Knight looked at me for a long while, studying me. It seemed like he wanted to question me about something, but decided against it. "Okay then." He said. He gave me a nod, before he stood up and left the living room. I got up as well and went upstairs to my room.

I didn't know what was going to happen to me. I could always go and stay with Jasmine, but her mother would ask questions. She would want to know why I wasn't staying at home. Also, Mrs. Thomas knew Allan, she would definitely go over there and find out what the problem is. Allan would most likely come up with a story to make it seem like everything was okay. I'll have no other option but to go back home to him. I can't have that.

I don't know where I would go, all I know is that I'm not going back to my stepfather's house.

******

It was now 11 o'clock and Carson hadn't come home as yet. I couldn't sleep anyways, so I decided to go down into the living room and wait for him.

I was sitting on the couch for about fifteen minutes, when I heard the front door being opened. I sat up straighter as soon as Carson came through the door and closed it behind him

"Carson?" I called quietly. When he heard my voice he looked towards the couch where I was.

"Kayla, what are you doing up?" He asked as he came over to sit on the couch beside me.

"I was worried about you. Where did you go?" I asked, trying to search his face in the dimly lit room.

"Nowhere. I just drove around. I needed to calm down and clear my head." He answered.

"Carson, I'm scared." I whispered quietly. Carson immediately brought me closer to him and wrapped his arms around me. In his arms, I instantly felt safe.

"It's okay. You don't have to be scared. I won't let anything happen to you." His voice was soft, but firm.

"But what am I going to do?" I asked, sharing my concern.

"Don't worry about it, I'll think of something. I'll ask Mom to talk to Dad." He said reassuringly.

"I don't know if that's going to work. Your dad didn't look like he planned on changing his mind." I said.

Carson used his hands to lift my chin up, so I was staring into his face. "Please don't tell me you are considering going back home," he said, his eyes was searching my face. "Because I won't let you. There is no way I'm letting you go back to that place."

I shook my head quickly. "I don't want to go back there. I just...I just don't know what to do." I said, my voice trembling with fear.

Carson tightened his hold around me and pulled me closer. "Shhh, just don't think about it. You need to get some sleep. We can talk about this some other time." He kissed the top of my head and I snuggled into his arms.

Soon all the exhaustion and the events of the day overcame me and I fell asleep.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A/N: Thanks again to everyone reading my story.

Please vote to show your support and love. Comment also.

Don't be a silent reader!

I love you all!

Keep smiling 😊

Alecia