3

Chapter 3 - Look at me

It was like pulling out a tooth to get him to agree to go on a date.

He littered my ears with excuses and reasons as to why he didn't have the necessary time for it.

But he finally said yes. Because I tried.

It seems like I'm the only one ever trying.

"Hey, Hwa?" I call him as I remember a new restaurant had opened.

"Yeah?" He responds bluntly.

When's the last time he called me by my pet name?

"How do you feel about going to (Restaurant name) for dinner?" I ask, biting my lip as I look at him, leaning on my counter top.

He raises an eyebrow. "That place? Why? It's super expensive."

"Oh, you've been there?" I question.

I see his eyes flash in panic before masking it with annoyance. Somehow that very sight was enough to make me want to ball up and cry. It made my heart clench in pain. I do my best to keep myself grounded.

"Huh? No, of course not. That restaurant could be in the middle of a damn hurricane and anyone would be able to see it's hella expensive." He crosses his arms.

"Ah...so I guess that's a no?"

He sighs and closes his eyes. "Look Y/n, I'm not made of money. I can't always treat you to everywhere you want to go."

My mouth dries up. "I didn't mean it like that-"

"I get it, it's fine." He looks at his watch again. He's been doing that all day.

Then he gets a little text notification. And as he pulls out his phone, he tries to restrain a small smile from forming.

Look at me.

Please.

He finally looks up and paints a false smile on his lips. "Hey, I gotta go. Boss wants some reports submitted by tonight."

He doesn't even wait for me to say goodbye.

He just leaves.

And I stand dumbfounded right in my own kitchen.

"You're not happy." Hyejin's words flash in my head so quick that I want to believe them.

I am happy.

I am.

Because I get to be with the man I love.

I should have taken that as another sign.

I am moons away from being truly happy.

He is not the source of my happiness.