The week that I was given was fast coming to an end and even though I tried not to think about my situation, I know it's inevitable. I don't know what to do. I'm in turmoil and every time I think about going back home, my entire body would shake and grip with fear. My stepfather was angry at me as it is.

I was so deep in thought, that I had completely zoned out. I felt Jasmine nudging me on my shoulder to get my attention. I looked up at her worried expression.

"Kay, what's the matter?" She asked, then a frown appeared on her face. "Do I need to kick Carson's ass?"

I laughed lightly at the threat in her tone and shook my head. "It's not Carson." I said to assure her.

"Then why do you look so sad?" She asked. I could understand the surprise in Jasmine's voice, because I've never shown when I'm sad before. I normally keep it in and hide my pain and worries away from the world. However, I was tired of hiding, especially from my best friends.

"I'm just thinking about what I'm going to do when my time is up at Carson's house." I said quietly.

Suddenly, a big smile spread across Jasmine's face and I looked at her curiously. "Oh, I almost forgot! Guess what?" She asked, her voice rising with excitement.

"What is it?" I asked, surprised at her sudden change in behaviour.

"I had asked my mom yesterday if you could stay here and she agreed!" She exclaimed.

"Really?" I asked hopefully. "She didn't ask why?"

"My mom loves you and would love to have you here. I just told her that you would like to stay here with me for a while and she agreed. She didn't really care for much details." She explained.

I smiled happily. "I can't believe it. Thank you so much! I'm so glad!"

"I can't wait. It's going to be like a sleepover everyday." She replied and I nodded in agreement. It's going to be fun to stay with my best friend. After all, she was like a sister I never had.

Just then, we heard Jaime's feet bounding down the stairs and his excited shout. "I'm ready! Come on, let's go already!"

Jasmine rolled her eyes and put our bowls in the sink. We both left the kitchen and went into the living room, where an impatient Jaime stood waiting on us at the front door.

******

The afternoon spent at the movies with my best friends was great. We watched a horror film as all of us except Jasmine loves horror movies. She didn't agree at first, but gave in, because it was three against one. The movie that was playing was 'Bethany'. It was out a long time ago, but because of the situation at my house, I haven't gotten the chance to watch it.

When I got back to Carson's house, it was after six. As I entered the living room, I saw Ms. Linda walking from the kitchen; an apron tied around her waist. She smiled at me in greeting and I waved at her.

Ms. Linda was so nice and she treated me like part of the family. Most times when she saw me, she would ask if I wanted something to eat before dinner. Mostly, I'll tell her no, because I didn't want to put her to any trouble in making me something.

Walking passed her, I head upstairs and stood in front of Carson's door. I knocked lightly, but silence met me from the other side of the door. I knocked a little louder, but still no response. I then turned his doorknob and pushed the door open. I peeked inside and saw that the room was empty. I know that he was here, because his car was out front.

My eyes then looked over to the glass sliding doors that led to the balcony and I saw that it was open. I entered Carson's room and walked over to the balcony. The evening air was cool, a welcoming change from the warm air we've been experiencing. Carson sat in a chair made of pine wood. It was polished brown and was completed with light green cushions for the seating and back rest. His back was to me as he looked out to the view in front of him.

I walked over to him and looped my arms around his neck. He turned his head slightly to look around at me as soon as I slipped my arms around him. "Hey." I said, giving him a warm smile. He returned my smile, but it didn't reach his eyes like they always do. I frowned at him, but didn't say anything.

Taking my hands, he brought me in front of him to sit in his lap. My arms return back around his neck. "How was your day? Had fun?" He asked.

"Yes I did." I answered, nodding. I then spun in his lap, so I was facing him completely. "Guess what?" I asked, my eyes shining with excitement.

Carson smiled at the excitement in my voice. "What?" He asked.

"Jasmine's mom said that I can stay at her house." I related.

"That's great." He responded smiling in relief.

"I know. I'm glad that things are working out." I said honestly.

The corners of his lips lift up into a half smile. "I'm happy that you are happy. I'm also glad that you will have somewhere to stay and you won't have to go back home."

I nodded again and he looked back out in front of him. I followed his gaze and looked out to the view in front of us. The street was growing dark, but the street lights and some houses that had lights on, gave the street an illuminant glow. From where we sat, the view was beautiful and I could see far out the distance to houses that were on the other side of the street. I could also see where the trees started at a nearby park.

Carson was unusually quiet and I couldn't help but think that there was something bothering him. I turned around once again to look at him. "Carson, is everything okay?" I asked quietly.

He shifted his focus from the view before him and turned to look at me. I looked into his eyes and saw that a glimmer of pain lay beneath their blue depths. He sighed before he answered. "I had another argument with my dad about my future."

"What did he say?" I asked softly, knowing that by the sound of his voice, the conversation was worst than any before.

"Well, he repeated his usual arguments and added that if I don't follow in his footsteps, I would no longer be his son." He said. He shook his head and laughed lightly, but there was no humor.

"He really said that?" I asked, shocked that a father would say that to his son. All because he didn't want to become his heir to his company and wants to choose his own career path. Carson nodded in confirmation to my question. "Maybe he doesn't mean it." I said, trying to make sense of the situation.

Carson shook his head. "He meant it. He's not even talking to me anymore. You know, he walked passed me this morning and didn't look my way. It's like I wasn't even there. One thing I know about my father, he sticks to his words." He sighed. "I've never been so stomped on what to do in my entire life."

My heart ached to see Carson like this. I could see that he wants to follow his dreams, but was troubled by the fact that he has disappointed his father. I shifted by body on Carson's lap and brought my head closer to him. I kissed him on his cheek, before resting my head on his chest. "Just give him some time, maybe he will come around." I said reassuringly.

Carson wrapped his arms around my waist and bring me closer to him. He didn't respond. He just continued to hold me close as we looked out to the sky changing from a light shade of orange to dark.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A/N: Hey! 👋

Leave your comments and votes please. I would appreciate your support.

This chapter is dedicated to lizette_2354 for reading and voting on my story. I really appreciate it...thanks girl! 😘

Until next time...

Stay happy!

Alecia