Chapter 36: Full Moon Part 3

Start from the beginning

Protecting her. That's the main thing I want to do tonight and it's the only reason we were granted our request.

Even still, Hoseok's scary wolf was required to stand guard in case I tried to do something crazy.

That's unlikely. I won't hurt Mate. Not even if she's hurting me. I want to mark her so much but she might cry if I do that and I refuse to be the reason for her tears.

I just want to protect her. And hold her. And kiss her. And smell her. And lay my head in her lap while she pets my hair and tells me I'm a good wolf.

I love my mate.

My mate. Mine.

Unable to exit, I sit by the door and listen. I can hear Hoseok, still on two legs pacing back and forth. The sound of his footfalls are loud to my sensitive hearing, and apart from that I can hear every single sound in the house. The light pitter patter of one of the kittens feet on the hardwood planks, the sound of another lapping from the water bowl, the movements of another's muscles as they stretch out, the soft music Taehyung had left playing in his room before they all left the house. The roll of a set of tires and the rumble of a car as it pulls up to the house.

Is that Mate?!?

I shoot to my feet, forehead leaning against the door as another whine escapes me. It's her. The smell of fresh rain, the morning dew, the sunrise, and all things natural and right hits my senses along with the sound of a steady heartbeat.

My favorite heartbeat.

One more cry makes it way out when I can hear her entering the house and I begin to bounce on the balls of my feet. Please hurry, Mate. I missed you so much.

Don't be so intense. You're going to scare her again. You're right.

Namjoon is right. He's more human so he understands that side of her better than I do. Forcing myself to breathe evenly, I move five paces backwards away from the door. And wait. And listen.

"If he starts acting aggressive in any way, or if he does something that doesn't feel normal, you have to call me." Hoseok is speaking as they make their way up the stairs. She makes a sound of agreement, and hearing her voice sends my heart pounding painfully against my rib cage. "Don't worry about me not hearing you, because I definitely will. I'll be shifting soon, too, so if worse comes to worse, don't be afraid of my wolf form."

The footsteps stop when they reach the new landing and Mate's voice drops to a whisper.

"If something bad happens...you won't hurt him, right?"

It's quiet for a second until Hoseok's breath comes out in a deep sigh. "Y/n. I don't want to hurt him. But if he starts acting up, I'll be forced to. Even Namjoon would agree that it's better him than you." the sound of a hand patting something—is it her shoulder? makes my stomach twist in rage.

Don't.Touch. My. Mate.

Even if you are scary, I'll bite you.

She's mine.

Calm down. Deep breaths. She's mine!

She's ours. And she's coming this way. Calm down.

My anger takes the backseat in my mind when the doorknob begins to turn. I wait with bated breath while it seems to take a lifetime before the door opens and she pokes her head in.

And there she is, beautiful as ever. The other half of my heart and my sole reason for living.

Hoseok is nowhere in sight. Good thing because I don't know what it would have done to me to see him so close to her right now.