Chapter Nine

You see a child play, and it is so close to seeing an artist paint, for in play a child says things without uttering a word. You can see how he solves his problems. You can also see what's wrong. Young children, especially, have enormous creativity, and whatever's in them rises to the surface in free play.

~Erik Erikson

Sneaking out of your house while you're supposed to be doing your homework was... Challenging.

Cassie was out, and mum was in the kitchen singing to herself. Dad was holed up in his study, as he had been for the past week or so. Much to my horror, his door was wide open, and I somehow had to walk past without catching his attention; I was wearing my coat, shoes, and bag.

Of course I didn't manage, but when Dad looked up and caught my eye, he said nothing. Just stared me down for a few seconds and returned his gaze to his desk.

Surprised, but unwilling to take this opportunity for granted, I flew past the door and down the stairs, out of the front door before he could change his mind. I just hoped he'd cover for me when mum found me gone.

Catching a bus in the dark by yourself is terrifying. Like, demon in the mirror terrifying. There's always the possibility that you're going to get kidnapped and murdered by the psycho rapist bus driver or fellow passenger.

I wasn't entirely sure whether I was glad to be alone on the bus or not. Thankfully, I made it to the right street without being chopped up and deposited into a car boot, and my destination was the house right opposite the bus stop.

It seemed quite out of place actually. Big grand house with a dainty little gate and a rose garden with ivy and honeysuckle creeping up the walls, the full works, and then BAM, bus stop.

Glancing down at the small slip of paper nestled into my palm one last time to ensure I was at the right place, I shuffled awkwardly up the pathway and rang the doorbell.

A few seconds later, footsteps sounded and the door flew open, revealing Mrs Howell in a dress suit and high heels, clutching at a purse.

"Phil, hello! I was just going out dear, I'm really in quite a rush. Can't hang about. The girls are in the dining room finishing up their homework, there's a list on the coffee table in the living room of their bedtime and stuff. Older ones called Sadie, younger one is Maddie. Enjoy, have fun, help yourself to food, goodbye!"

Mrs Howell pushed me quickly into house and then rushed out of it herself. I was left standing awkwardly in her hallway for a few seconds, before I got my act together.

The house inside was unbelievably tidy, and very beige. Beige carpet, walls, furniture. I felt like I had stepped into a tub of foundation.

I located the living room, grabbed the piece of paper labelled: For Phil, and then made my way towards the dining room.

Two girls were sitting up at the table. The older one - Sadie - sat demurely with her back straight, with nothing in her hands and her papers set out neatly in front of her. Her long brown hair was loose and tumbled in cascading curls down her back, and her large brown eyes were wide and unblinking. She wore a white night dress with pink lace adorning the collar, cuffs, and hem. She was the epitome of female.

The younger one, on the other hand, Maddie, was slouched over a colouring book, her small pink tongue stuck out in concentration as she scribbled determinedly. She looked just like her sister and mother, apart from the fact that her hair was short and tightly curled around his head, and freckles were scattered across her snub nose. She wore a checked shirt and shorts.

I cleared my throat awkwardly in the doorway, and both small heads whipped in my direction. I smiled as warmly as I could.

"Hi! I'm Phil. I'm here to keep an eye on you will your Mum goes to work."

Sadie smiled politely and shyly, and Maddie beamed fearlessly.

"Hello," Sadie spoke up. Her voice was quiet and calm, "I'm Mercedes, and this is Madison. You can call us Sadie and Maddie. I'm nine, and Maddie is five. We have a brother too, Daniel, but we call him Dan. I think you could too. He's fifteen, he's at boarding school. He gives me piggy back rides sometimes - when he's home."

I grinned at Sadie properly this time. She was so polite! Maddie didn't say anything, just gazed at me in wonder. Feeling a little out of place and uncomfortable under her scrutiny, I glanced down at the list in my hand.

Following the numbered steps on the paper, I instructed the children to wash their faces and brush their teeth. Then, despite my written order to send them straight to bed, I let them stay up a little and watch television, warning them to not tell their mum. After all, I had to get on their good side if I was to be looking after them every night. I made sure they were tucked up in bed by nine, and at when eleven pm rolled around I was sprawled out on the sofa, exhausted.

A lovely sight for Mrs Howell to walk in on, I'm sure, but she just laughed and pressed a twenty pound note into my hand. I left the house with a smile on my face, money in my pocket, and a slightly larger love for children. I could understand why Cassie used to baby me so much.

That was until I opened my front door to face my furious mother and shame faced father.

A/N

Hey hey happy December losers
Jk ily
My poem book was featured in a newspaper thingy on paper.li via Secrets Of A Poet and reached 700 reads omg :')
Also this reached 200 reads, ily all<3
Songs I listened to:
Fairytale of New York by The Pogues over and over bc it's the best and it's getting to that season now :3

Cheerio chickens

~Georgina

Find me:

Twitter: ThisIsGeorgieXo

Tumblr: sugarcanellamas

Instagram: assemblingphilosophies

Collab acc: KnivesAndPens_xo