An Offer With A Catch?

Dray led Cate to a table at the back of the restaurant from where they had a nice view over the beautifully arranged backyard of the hotel - not that Cate had the nerve to concentrate on the design of the garden. Her mind was still occupied with trying to figure out what on earth had just happened a few minutes ago.

Why would this man introduce himself as my boyfriend to Yasmin?

What had seemed like her rescue for a split second had only brought her into an even more miserable position. There was no way she could bring the man to her high school reunion. She didn't know anything about him except for his name and she had just found out about it five minutes ago.

If the fact that he was a conceited jerk wasn't enough, then the fact that he had successfully managed to make a complete fool out of her was enough to throw her off. She already felt a cold sweat build on her body at the thought of how the whole charade would be exposed next month when she had to face Yasmin again. There was no way that evil woman would let her off the hook with the matter.

Cate covered her face in her palms.

How am I going to fix this?

Dray silently pushed a glass of water towards her from which she took a big sip. Her mind was far away as her eyes were glued to the table. She hadn't even noticed that he had ordered already. It didn't matter though. She wasn't hungry anymore.

"Shouldn't you look a little happier? After all, I just saved you from the venomous snake," Dray asked, staring at her with his intense eyes.

"What do you mean by saved? I've officially become the sacrificed lamb now. I don't know if you've noticed but we're certainly not a couple and I need to face this person again next month," Cate answered in annoyance.

Did he really not understand that he just ruined everything for me?

He chuckled softly, causing Cate to furrow her brows.

"What's so funny?" she asked, not trying very hard to suppress the anger that was suddenly rising when she noticed how unfazed he was with her dilemma.

"So much drama for nothing," he replied simply.

Her eyes widened at his remark and she almost choked on her drink.

"Excuse me?!" What a rude reaction. The Jerk, argh!

"Fine then, I'll go with you next month," he nonchalantly said and she could see an almost amused expression on his evenly shaped face. Her inner anger gauge was immediately on the rise again.

What the hell?! What kind of game is he playing with me?!

"And why exactly would you do that?" she asked irritated. Her eyebrows mashed together as she tried to figure the man out. She didn't get very far with it though.

He had saved her.

He had completely ignored her.

Then, suddenly, he was all generous and had saved her again - at least from his perspective.

Given his usual pattern, he would most likely drop her again at the next chance that presented itself.

No, thank you! She had no interest in becoming his play toy.

But why on earth was the man even trying to help her with something as random as becoming her date for some high school reunion? That itself was odd enough.

He didn't look like a charity type of person.

She began to question everything about him from the first time she had laid eyes on him in the club, the moment when he had bravely come to her rescue in the ally, up to the latest incidents.

It didn't help though. She just couldn't get a grasp of how his mind worked or what his intentions were. He was like a riddle she couldn't solve.

In the end, every answer she could think of didn't make sense and she hated it.

"Let's be honest, we are almost strangers. You ignored me a few hours ago like I was nothing but thin air. And now you suddenly want to accompany me to my high school reunion as my boyfriend? I'm getting the feeling that there is something seriously wrong with you," she finally hissed, massaging her temples. She'd get a migraine soon if this nonsense continued.

"I was in a hurry back then and we are no strangers. I saved your life before, twice if we consider what happened earlier with your frenemy and you already know my name. It's Drayce Ryu. You can call me Dray. Nice to meet you again, Caitlin Whitecross," he said while leaning back. She very much disliked how cool he looked by just sitting there.

"How do you even know my name?" she wanted to know, suddenly feeling very exhausted from her day. "I didn't tell you."

"Oh that...I have my ways," he answered mysteriously, causing Cate to frown once more.

"I'm sorry, but could you stop giving me the creeps?" she exclaimed, but he didn't even bother to react to her question.

"It was from the reception," he tried to ease her into lowering her guard. "And you should seriously consider my offer. I'm a good catch and I doubt you'll be able to find a better solution by next month," Dray encouraged her to give his offer another thought.

He is probably right, Cate thought to herself. However, it was still absurd unless he had questionable intentions...

"But why would you even offer to help me out in first place?" she asked skeptically. There had to be a catch somewhere.

This better not be some weird cliché where the guy expects money, sexual favors or other obscene things in return...

"If you think I'm going to sell myself over something like that..." she suddenly started, but he just chuckled and cut her off.

"It's nothing like that. I'm in a similar unlucky position."

Cate doubted it; nevertheless, a part of her was all ears.

________________

My darling Mobsters,

how have you been?

I guess it's time to talk business now for Cate and Dray. What do you think they'll come up with?

If you enjoyed this chapter, please comment or leave a vote. It's very much appreciated! <3

Let's chat!

Topic: How do you feel about reunions? Any frenemy you'd rather not meet again? How do you handle it? Do you have any weird/interesting/funny stories to share?