The Cindy Truth

"So what is your relationship with the woman your father wants you to marry?" Cate moved towards a heavier topic.

They had just reached the street behind the market where lots of restaurants and bars were located.

It was getting cold and Dray had placed their entwined hands in the warm pocket of his jacket as they kept walking. Cate wasn't bothered by it; she was slowly getting used to their physical contact after overcoming the initial awkwardness. She told herself that her hands were important for her job, so it was best to keep them at a reasonable temperature. This was the only convenient way.

"We aren't close if that is what you are asking. He picked her because of a rather unfortunate misunderstanding," he explained.

Curiosity reflected from her attentive eyes. "A misunderstanding? That sounds pretty random," she commented and creased her forehead.

Dray threw her a quick side glance and sighed. He wasn't keen on elaborating, but the way she was looking at him, it was probably better to just get the topic over with and move on.

"If you must know, we had a one-time thing a few years back and he caught onto that."

"So you hooked up in the heat of the moment, but have no further feelings for her. The problem is, your father found out," Cate summed it up and tried not to sound disappointed.

If she was being honest, she didn't like the thought of him just fooling around with a girl because it made her wonder what his usual relationships looked like. She wanted to know how they could act out a believable relationship if her experience was that of a high schooler and his only consisted of flings.

"No, it's not like that. Cindy and I were never really close, but we've known each other for a long time. Don't get confused, she is not an innocent kid that needs protection," Dray started, but then he noticed that Cate wasn't looking anymore. Her face showed mixed emotions, which was why he felt the need to elaborate.

"This idea of us getting together to strengthen business - her family had it way before my dad came up with it. She has been interested in me for that very reason for a few years now. But I didn't like the thought of it. To be honest, I had no interest in a relationship, whether it was her or another woman at the time. I was concentrating on my career and nothing else."

"So what changed?" Cate kept digging, briefly forgetting about the game they were playing.

"Nothing. I was just drunk, so I stopped thinking for a couple of hours," Dray sighed.

"So you fell victim to her charms?" Cate asked in disbelief. Dray was a lot, but clearly not the victim-type.

"No, I just made a fool of myself. I was going through a rough patch back then and handled things the wrong way. Now my old man makes me pay for my immature behavior," Dray admitted. "Truth be told, Cindy has never been my type. She might be pretty and come from a respected family, but she is very calculating and manipulative, always sniffing around for her next big win. If she could find someone more lucrative than me, she'd latch on to him in the blink of an eye."

"That's not a very nice thing to say," Cate cut in.

"But it's the unpretty truth. It was my fault that I drank enough to go with her that night. I am guilty of that. I was being stupid when I should have stayed away. I regretted it soon enough. At first, I didn't think it would be such a big deal though; we were both adults caught up in a moment, after all... But ever since then, the idea of marrying us off must have grown on her and our families while I'm not up for it at all. Cindy might think she feels something for me now, but she is mistaken. It's my status that appeals to her, not my character. She doesn't even know me well enough to actually fall for me. If anything, you should trust me on that," he explained some more. "Even though you might have trouble believing this, you should know that I value two things very much: my independence as I want to reach goals with my own strength and loyalty when it comes to letting a woman into my life."

Dray held her gaze and it was one of those moments when it appeared to her as if he wanted to let her see his true thoughts by getting rid of his usually unreadable face. He sounded sincere.

"I won't lie, I am not really thinking of settling down yet. I like my life how it is right now. But if I ever was to marry someone, this person would have to be loyal to me for my sake and not my business or influence. I told her all of that, too. Of course, she had a different opinion. However, after the incident, I kept my distance from her as good as I possibly could," he ended his explanation and when Cate finally looked at him she came to the conclusion that he spoke the truth.

"So... I guess Cindy won't be a big fan of mine if she finds out you are fake dating me." Cate's voice was meant to sound light, but a hint of concern remained.

"Don't concern yourself with her. I'll take care of it," he answered, seeming tight-lipped again all of a sudden, but Cate eyed him with skepticism.

"I won't let her come near you. Don't worry," Dray added and instinctively pressed her hand as if he wanted to give strength to his words.

"Alright," Cate replied. "I don't know about you but I'm getting really thirsty," she let him know with a small smile to suggest a change of topic.

"Me too. I know a nice bar close-by. Let's go there," Dray agreed, grateful that she decided to let go of the topic.

_________________

My dear little Mobsters,

the most amazing thing happened this week! MSMB was added to Wattpad New Adult's (@ NA) official Romance | There's Only One Bed reading list. I'm so grateful! This seems like such a huge achievement for me. I never expected it could really happen.

Also, Thank you so much for almost 8K views and more than 1,1K votes! It really means so much to me!

As always, I'm interested to know what you thought of the chapter. Please let me know in the comments or by giving a vote.

For those of you who have Inkitt, MSMB is taking part in Inkitt's monthly contest. You can support me by giving the book a new like each month or by commenting on, reviewing or sharing the book. I'd be really thankful for your help!

Lastly, I hope all of you stay healthy and safe during this pandemic! *virtual hugs*

Love,
AK

Let's Chat!

Topic: So, did you ever have an encounter with someone and deeply regretted it afterward because your history messed with the present? How did you handle/solve it?

Please let me know in the comments below! I'm curious about your story!