Setting The Plan Into Motion

The coffee shop was crowded even though it was already evening. Nevertheless, Dray had managed to get himself a table next to the window. His men were nearby, always keeping a close eye on him. He had given other tasks to Mark and Jax today though; the risk of them being recognizable around him was becoming too big. Meanwhile, Jon was still resting under Sora's supervision due to his wound, only handling office-based matters.

Dray pulled the phone from the pocket of his jacket and checked the time again. His date was late by almost twenty minutes already. He sighed in frustration. This had to be the first time someone left him waiting like this – and it was a woman on top of that.

He scanned the street, but only an ambulance passed by, speedily heading towards the hospital entrance on the other side of the road. His gaze wandered through the café. A table full of college girls was trying to watch him secretly while openly gushing over him with hushed voices. They were not the only ones. Another lady in sexy business attire kept glancing at him from the queue at the counter. She threw her thin, straight hair over her shoulder when their eyes met and winked at him, but his face remained unchanged. Ridiculous.

He had always been a magnet for women. It was true, they subconsciously felt drawn to powerful – no matter how much they wanted to deny it. They were fascinated by his mysterious charm and his attractive appearance. But the ladies here were looking at more than they could ever handle and he had no interest in involving himself with any of them. It would only complicate his already problematic life. At the moment he was busy enough with the females he knew.

Eventually, the door opened again and his attention was caught by a familiar figure. She had finally arrived: his date for today.

Cate was dressed in casual, yet elegant clothes. She was wearing a thin, black and white patterned pullover and her long legs were hugged by a pair of dark skinny jeans. She had thrown a light grey coat over her shoulders and her feet were hidden in black ankle boots, reminding him again that the weather had been unusually cold this week.

Cate looked around in order to find him and when she did a small smile crept onto her rosy lips; she wore a hint of lipstick, just enough to keep her look natural. Dray's expression didn't change; however, he couldn't help but stare at her slightly flushed cheeks. Her wavy, long hair was framing her delicate face a little wilder than usual. He guessed that she had hurried here after her shift.

He didn't know if Cate was aware of it yet as she seemed rather introverted and a bit naive, but from a man's perspective, there was no denying that she was quite a pleasant view.

When Dray had carried her before, he had already noticed that her body was not as skinny as a stick, contrary to what most trend-following women wanted to look like nowadays. Instead, it seemed to have just the right amount of curves and, admittedly, Dray liked that.

Above this, he had already observed that she wasn't into wearing much make up – perhaps a doctor thing. Even now she didn't look that different from when he had seen her bare face in the hotel lobby. Her simplicity complimented her clothing style; it seemed unagitated. She was prettier than a fair amount of women he had met before and that was actually saying something.

As Cate made her way towards Dray rather carefree, not taking note of his repelling aura, the table of college girls started to whisper behind her intensively. However, she remained oblivious to it.

"Hi, sorry I'm late. The C-section didn't quite go as planned, because it was the fourth time already and there was a lot of scar tissue we had to get through... but... umm... I shouldn't bore you with the details," she began talking with a trace of awkwardness as she sat down and gave him a cautious look to check if he was angry with her late arrival.