Unlocked Doors

Dray watched the other guy stand in the hallway for a few minutes. The man looked stunned, to say the least, which made Dray wonder once again how he was actually related to Cate.

Is he just a very surprised, good friend or does he have romantic feelings for her?

Dray wasn't sure which category the stranger belonged to. Since he made no direct move on her it was hard to tell. Dray would have to make one of his trusted men do a throughout background check on him to clear things up. Nothing was worse than some jealous suitor ruining his anti-marriage plans along the way. The fake-dating act being exposed was the last thing he needed right now.

Once Dray was alone, he found himself staring at Cate's door, wearing an absentminded expression on his face.

Didn't she say she was here for work? How could she get drunk in public like this? She was lucky that the guy didn't try for more... I need to do something about this soon. She can't blow our cover by behaving recklessly like a kid.

He sighed and was about to turn when he noticed from the corner of his eyes that her door wasn't properly closed. It swung open when he gently pushed the door handle to check if he was right.

This woman! The Alliance is on the verge of a gang war; Jon was even shot tonight. Yet she sleeps with an open door in a foreign place.
The irony of the situation made him shake his head in disbelief.

Dray sighed and was about to close the door when he heard faint sobbing from inside. His movements came to a halt as an uneasy feeling spread in his stomach.

That doesn't sound good... What happened to the chaos on two legs now again?

He felt torn. Normally, he wouldn't have bothered. The last thing he liked to come in contact with were crying women. He just couldn't stand the hysteria and drama...

However, it seemed as if the events of the day had a softening effect on him, making him more human than he usually was. He couldn't bring himself to turn around, especially because the sound the girl made was that heartbreaking. Besides, she was his fake girlfriend and an integral part of his plan to avoid marriage. It was therefore partly in his interest to at least find out what was going on...

I'm only doing this for my greater good, he told himself and raised his fist to give the white-painted, thick wood a soft knock.

He waited for a moment, but when she didn't react, he sneaked into the room. It had big windows, allowing the natural light from outside in. The heavy clouds from earlier tonight had disappeared. The small suite was now illuminated by the bright full moon and the stars which sparkled like diamonds on the otherwise pitch-black firmament.

He was immediately able to spot Cate. She was lying on her bed, rolled up like an embryo, still wearing the business clothes she went out with. Her breath was too fast-paced for her to look peaceful, but other than that her slim body didn't move. It seemed like she was in a deep sleep.

Dray took his time stepping closer. He sighed when he realized that she was still wearing heels.

Her feet will hurt in the morning.

He remembered her job and decided to take them off, neatly placing them beside the bed.

Someone who had to save lives should make sure to be in good health, always. Foot cramps would be an annoying hindrance to that.

He eventually found himself sitting down next to her on the mattress. Cate was silent now. But under the silver moonlight, he saw faint lines on her even skin, clearly giving away that she had cried in her sleep.

My Secret Mobster BoyfriendOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara