The Heavy Crown Of The 'Royal' Family

Dray stared at his father curiously, trying to figure out what he was talking about.

What else could be on my old man's mind?

"Prepared for what?" he asked to break the silence, searching his father's eyes for the answer. He couldn't put his finger on it, but his gut told him he wasn't going to like what he was about to say next. Dray had become too accustomed to this tone over the years.

"I want you to take over my business soon..."

A wave of pride and joy washed over Dray, but something was off. He couldn't help but wonder if there was a catch to it. Well, he was about to find out.

"... and thus, I decided that you will get married," the Dragon Head mentioned the most important condition.

Silence. Then...

"You did WHAT?!"

For a second there Dray's poker face completely dissolved. He thought he would fall off the leather armchair he was sitting on but he somehow managed to hold onto his position. It was close though.

Was this a hidden camera prank? It couldn't be though, he thought. His father wasn't exactly the joking type.

Still, this was the dumbest thing he had ever heard in his entire life.

What time period does he think we lived in? - In the fucking middle ages?!

"You're at the right age to settle down. You know our family needs an heir and your job is dangerous. It will become worse once you've taken over my position," his father said.

"I. Am. The. Heir," Dray countered, emphasizing every single word. "And I am perfectly healthy."

Why would they need another one - especially right now?

He couldn't believe what he was hearing. It was absurd.

"It's good that you know you're not the Head of the Blue Dragons yet. But, the earlier you get married and have a child the better. You need to follow my orders. I want an heir for you and this family. It seems like a dangerous time is ahead of us and you're at the very center of it," the Dragon Head pointed out.

"We always live in a dangerous time," Dray countered. He was angry and annoyed and it started to show.

"Not like this. Things are changing, Drayce. More than you think. And not everyone in the Alliance thinks it's a good thing. Change is bound to bring a difference in opinion. You know our law too well to play stupid. The strongest will win the throne. We have to be ready. Besides, you know very well that we and the Blue Dragons cannot be separated ever. So quit your childish act and do as I say," his father remained entirely unimpressed with his resistance.

Dray realized at this very moment that the man was dead serious.
He talked about an arranged marriage as if it was something arbitrary, like picking out the right pants to a suit.

There was some truth in his words though. Dray's family and the Blue Dragon Gang were indeed linked together, right from the beginning. No one could remember if the gang was titled after their surname Ryu, meaning Dragon, or if the family had started using it when they first became the leaders of the clan. It was similar to asking who was there first, the chicken or the egg.

Still, the obsession with their status made Dray question his sanity sometimes. The members of his clan treated him like he walked on holy ground. Men vowed to die for him and women celebrated him like he was some famous rock star. It can be entertaining for a while but Dray learned early that all the fame brought many disadvantages, too. He had to be careful and question everything at all times.