Hit The Club

The hip underground club was loud, warm and sweaty. Although Cate felt her body getting hotter with each passing second, she couldn't bring herself to take off the jacket.

Strobe lights were flashing around, illuminating the place. There were too many people and not enough space, especially on the dancefloor. Guys kept ogling at every girl's boobs and trying to touch whatever they could get their hands on. In short, "hesitation" became a foreign word to these people. Tonight, Key appeared to be the only trusted male in the whole area - even though it was his initial idea to come here.

Cate felt very out of place. She kept pulling down her dress, and when she wasn't busy with that she peeled the paper sticker off the beer bottle in front of her. Everyone could see that she wasn't used to these kinds of establishments. Thankfully Krystal was sitting next to her at the bar, coolly dismissing the intense stares she was getting. She knew that her friend wasn't too keen on dancing and hated to be left alone, though she never admitted it and Cate was silently grateful for her consideration.

Being with Krystal was like having a free entry pass. They had yet to pay for even a single drink thanks to her presence. She returned the favors by, once in a while, showering her admirers with a slight nod.

Most men are pretty one-dimensional, Cate couldn't help but think.

They must have thought Krystal would be interested in one of them. But Cate knew better. It wasn't easy to impress her friend; the last guy to do so was way out of their league, and even that didn't last. They didn't stand a chance.

While Cate and Krystal were getting comfortable at the bar, Tory was dancing with a smug guy from overseas a few meters away. Key had excused himself earlier to greet some people he knew would be here tonight.

Cate felt her phone vibrating.

From: James Morelli

To: Caitlin Whitecross

I hope you're having a good night. Stay out of trouble, though. Tell Victoria to stop rubbing up against strangers and sending me pictures of this Latino dude!

Cate sighed and started to chew on her lower lip like always when she was caught in deep thought. James was her elder brother's best friend and senior at the hospital. Now that Celio was overseas, naturally, James seemed to be looking out for her.

"Who are you texting?" Krystal asked, leaning closer because the EDM music kept growing louder.

The bass was hammering against their eardrums. Cate wasn't too fond of the buzzing feeling it left in her ear.

"James," formed her lips.

"Why don't you tell him you like him?" Krystal questioned, causing Cate's eyes to open wide at the unexpected question.

Cate secretly had a small crush on him, but he treated her like a younger sister. It didn't come as a surprise though. As the youngest assistant medical director of the surgical ward and gifted with a quite attractive face, he was surrounded by pretty nurses almost all the time. She didn't expect to stand out.

Cate had never mentioned it before, but Krystal seemed to have caught onto it anyway. There was no point in lying about it, but Cate still shook her head defensively at her friend's suggestion.

"He only treats me as a younger sister, whereas..." She glanced towards Tory, not finishing her sentence.

Officially James and Tory were both single. Usually, the two of them were like cats and dogs. It was as entertaining and annoying as it sounded. But, these last few months Cate felt something had changed. They kept teasing each other, even using Cate as the middleman at times. It seemed like they had gotten closer while remaining oblivious to her growing feelings.