Hello Pool Boy

When Cate woke up the next morning, she wondered if what had happened last night was real or just a super weird dream. But when she checked her phone, she saw a message from him, proving she hadn't imagined things.

Drayce Ryu had saved himself as "My Boyfriend" in her phone before they separated while totally dismissing her original resistance. Now that she saw the words on her screen it somehow made her stomach tickle a little.

From: My Boyfriend

I won't be able to make any more time for you while I'm here. I'll contact you once I'm back home. We need to set a date.

It was short and matter-of-fact, but his last sentence still caused her heart to beat a little faster.

They didn't set up a contract or anything last night as they were both dependent on the agreement. Instead, a quick handshake sealed the deal. Above this, it would have just been too awkward to write down something, especially with Yasmin watching. Imagine the mess if someone ever found the piece of paper. No, it was better to not have evidence flying around on paper; they shared the same sentiments on that.

However, they came up with some sort of guideline. They were practically still strangers and had slim chances to pull off their relationship act just yet. So they decided to go on some dates and get to know each other better before officially interacting with their acquaintances.

Cate couldn't deny it. The thought of meeting him made her nervous. She wasn't sure whether it was, because they were going to lie to everyone -something that was completely against her nature, or because it involved behaving like being in a relationship. She hadn't dated in years. After the Tristan-disaster she simply didn't have the heart. Then her career started picking up.

She couldn't deny that their plan unsettled her; after all, she had no idea how dating Dray would turn out. Her dating experience was pretty meh and he never reacted as she expected. His poker face made it just that much harder to see through him. She figured he wasn't an average guy as he resembled no one she knew before, but that only made him even more unpredictable and the whole deal more of a risk.

Cate's phone vibrated again, distracting her from her original thoughts.

From: James Morelli

I'm here now. Wanna join me for breakfast? Bring your colleague as well so there won't be any weird rumors.

The conference starts at 11 AM. I'll give you a quick update on the exact timetable when I see you.

James was very busy lately. His superior was suffering from burnout and had been on sick leave for over a month. Now he had to fill in for him while also staying on top of his hectic schedule. That was why he couldn't come early with the other staff members from their hospital. Instead, he had to take an early morning flight after completing another surgery last night.

Cate replied and quickly got ready. She was about to leave her suite when she found Sora in front of her door, holding her hand in mid-air as if she was planning on knocking any second.

"I guess this is called timing," she said in a melodic voice.

"I guess so," Cate answered. Her eyes were glued to the big ass diamond on her friend's finger. "So who surprised who last night?" She asked with a meaningful smile.

Sora blushed - a rare sight.

"I guess I'm gonna see your man earlier than expected," Cate couldn't help but tease, lightly nudging her friend's shoulder before linking arms with her.

"Let's go and have breakfast. James asked us to join him. I'll give you a day to gather your wits as we are busy, anyway. But tonight you'll have to tell me everything," Cate said with an intimidatingly broad grin.

♡♠♡

The conference mainly consisted of doctors giving speeches about outstanding operations and the latest medical developments. Businessmen also advertised the newest medical devices. To wrap it up, Cate loved it. She was like a sponge, taking in every small piece of new information. She even took notes, thinking that they would surely help her out later.

James had told them about the order for the two days ahead of them over breakfast just like he promised. He was one of the spokespersons too and Cate and Sora were already looking forward to his presentation. Although James was busy catching up with other notable doctors, he still took the time to introduce both of them whenever the opportunity arose and Cate found herself admiring him again as she watched him in his element.

How awesome would it be to date someone like him?

He was an outstanding doctor, a nice colleague, and overall just a good-natured person. Besides, there was no secretive behavior between them, only comfortableness. And though he liked to tease, James had always taken care of her well, especially since Celio left for his overseas studies. With James, Cate felt like she knew exactly what she would get herself into and that was a good thing. The only grain of salt in her daydreams was, that he hadn't even noticed she was a woman yet.

Still, she enjoyed that she didn't have to pretend to be distant from him here on their trip as Sora already new about their private connection. Even though the conference was considered work the whole atmosphere was way less strict than usual. Superiors and interns casually interacting didn't stand out as much.

Around 3 pm Cate and Sora used their half an hour break to get themselves some coffee. James had excused himself as he was searching for someone but he came back a couple of minutes later, followed by a guy who looked pretty familiar.

"Ladies, I wanted to introduce Dr. Jordan Chalfont to you. He used to work in New Zealand but will be the new deputy chief physician of our hospital's psychological department starting next week," James informed. "These two ladies are Caitlin Whitecross and Soraya Schwarz, the two top trainees at our hospital at the moment," He added, talking to the other doctor.

Cate's jaw dropped.

"Isn't he way too young for that?"

The words had left Cate's mouth before she could think properly, making the man softly chuckle at her remark.

"Hello there, nice meeting you again, gorgeous. But aren't you too young to be a doctor, too?" he asked and Cate wondered if he was just being friendly or trying to flirt with her right.

Did he just wink at her?

James slightly frowned at his colleague's surprising greeting, watching Cate silently with questioning eyes. He didn't expect this level of familiarity either.

Cate was stumped.

Jordan Chalfont, however, didn't mind that she was too stunned to answer. He coolly took a hold of her hand and shook it enthusiastically.

"It's nice to meet you again, Caitlin. Let's be friends."

_______________

My dear little Mobsters,

guess what! We broke 3K views and 500 votes. Thank you so much for all your amazing support!

To celebrate these great milestones and my first award win, I am planning for a double update this week. So make sure to keep your eyes open for another chapter around the weekend!

I hope you enjoyed the read! Did you expect the "pool boy" to turn up again (as a doctor)? How do you think Sora's proposal went down?

If you liked this chapter, please leave a comment or vote!

Love,
AK

Let's chat!

Topic: If looking for a partner, would you go for the person you are extremely comfortable with and already know everything about or would you much rather want to experience some nervousness and a few surprises?

I'm curious to read your answers!