The Two Top Interns

Cate rushed out of the examination room and headed straight to the cafeteria, her shift was finally over. She hadn't checked her phone all morning because she's been hella busy. If she had, the twenty missed calls and 56 messages in the group chat with the girls and Key were answered by now.

Luckily, the huge crowd in and around the buffet was gone when she got to the cafeteria. She directly went to the delicacies division where the number of leftovers was usually big, allowing her to carry her lunch to a table at the end of the hall in just a few minutes. Sora was already waiting for her with several other interns, she lifted her arm for Cate to spot her.

"Thanks for saving me a seat!" Cate said as she sat down. Sora nodded with a smile, revealing a cute pair of dimples in her cheeks.

"Sure thing. How did it go with your patient?" Sora asked and pushed the bowl with chicken feet towards her. Cate did the same with her seafood.

Sora and Cate had started their medical education on the same day. They became fast friends during their university days. And by coincidence, both of them ended up at the same hospital.

Some of the other interns eyed their lunch choices, but both of them didn't care much; they're foodies. They loved to seek out different restaurants and try unusual food; sharing their meals had become a habit over the years.

"Ah, it's under control for now. But, the lady needs to be careful. A triplet pregnancy is no joke, especially at her age..." Cate answered and started digging in.

"Hey, what's with the turtle neck again? Is this a new trend? Aren't you hot under all these clothes, the hospital is pretty warm," Sora wondered, eyeing her closely. Cate couldn't help but instinctively pull the top of her sweater to cover up a little higher.

She hadn't told anyone about the marks that were still visible on her neck and she wasn't planning on doing so any time soon. She didn't want the others to worry. They would get worked up again for leaving by herself and she had already learned her lesson. There was no need to heat things for the second round of lectures.

"Perhaps Caitlin has a boyfriend and wants to cover something up..." one of the other interns teased her, making Cate cover her face. Everyone was looking at her with curiosity and smug smiles. She hated the attention.

Cate wished the marks were hickeys from a boyfriend. At least that would mean that she had finally overcome her commitment phobia. But instead, she could almost hear the soundtrack of Once Upon A Time In The West ringing in her ears. An imaginary tumbleweed rolled passed her whenever she entered her bedroom. Her love life was like a desert – no oasis in sight.

"I have a bit of a sore throat," Cate dismissed the speculations. It wasn't even a lie. Besides the bruises, she had also caught a slight cold. Probably because she wasn't wearing much on her dreadful way home after going clubbing.

"Did you get a check-up already?" Sora asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"I'm fine. I took some meds before," Cate lied as best as possible and made an awkward peace sign to show that she was fine.

"Hello," someone greeted from behind them, causing everyone at the table to straighten up. Well, all except for Cate.

Instead, she turned her head towards James, who was standing at the front side in all of his gorgeous glory. He had one of those faces, that could be seen smiling at you from an advertising poster with perfectly white teeth, even features, prominent lips and bright green eyes included. No need to mention that the white doctor's gown looked fabulous on him.

Despite all of that and unlike the others, she felt comfortable in his presence. After all, he treated her like a sister. He even teased her, but that was the most embarrassment she endured while with him. Wouldn't it be great to date someone who already knows everything about you? Beside Celio and Key, he was the only male she trusted. Instead of feeling awkward, it would be nice to go out with him. But she knew that wasn't going to happen... like ever. Not unless a Cinderella fairy appeared and changed the way he saw her. What a shame.