|

Guess what day it is today, Grandma!' Young Guinevere sang, skipping out into the garden where the old lady was sat, sipping on her drink and reading her book

Guess what day it is today, Grandma!' Young Guinevere sang, skipping out into the garden where the old lady was sat, sipping on her drink and reading her book. The little girl bounced with excitement infront of her grandmother, a big grin spread on her face as she waited to be wished a happy birthday. The woman rolled her eyes, looking the girl up and down before taking another sip, 'Tuesday?'.

Guinevere giggled at her grandmothers poor attempt at humour, 'Funny Grandma! Funny'. Dorothy looked upon her granddaughter with a confused expression, truly having no idea what the girl was playing at.

'Go clean your room' she waved her hand, shooing her off. Guinevere's face dropped, realising that her birthday had been forgotten. She complied, running off to her room, not to clean but to dwell in.

That night she laid in her bed, tears falling onto her cheeks, the now ten year old girls voice broke as she sang quietly.

'happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me-'

'-Happy birthday to Guinevere! Happy birthday to you' Alice cheered, shaking the birthday girl awake. 'It's a special day! Come one I made Alexander steal you some ice-cream and jelly!'. Guinevere's eyes shot open from her deep slumber.

'Birthday? My birthd- you know my birthday?' Guinevere hadn't celebrated a birthday since her 9th, to have someone even wish her a good one meant a lot. But she had only been awake for half a minute and Alice had already done more for her than her grandmother could even consider doing.

'Ofcourse' Alice rolled her eyes, 'come on, Alexander is waiting for us!'

The girls ran down the corridor, hands interlocked while mischievous laughter erupted between them. Alice knocked on the door with her spare hand before they let themselves in. Guinevere screamed, covering her mouth in shock, stumbling backwards into Alice, infront of them was James feeding off of a girl they recognised from the community room.

Alexander stormed in, brushing past the two distraught girls and running full force towards James. The two began battling it out, their grunts over powering the sound of Guinevere hyperventilating. Alice grabbed her and pulled out of the room, dragging her to their rooms and began rambling an explanation.

'James is a vampire' she choked out, running as fast as she could, 'And so is Alexander'. Guinevere was in shock, having no words to respond with so Alice continued talking. 'Alexander wants to change us so we can escape and be free, forever' they sharply turned the corner and reached their rooms. Guinevere stood frozen while Alice grabbed their notebook.

'Guin, listen to me', she looked her dead straight into the eyes, 'I need to go, I'm going to go make sure Alexander is okay. If he isn't I might have to leave sooner than planned, I'll be back though, sweetheart'

Guinevere's eyes glistened, 'no no Al you can't leave me ! Everybody leaves me you CAN'T leave me you are all I have'. Alice shook her head, she saw this coming and knew how to deal with it.

'take this' the notebook was shoved into Guinevere's hands, 'this is my life, without this I won't know who I am. To live I need this notebook, this is proof that I will come back to you. Not just because I can't live without the notebook but because I also cannot live without you!' Alice forcefully pressed her lips onto Guinevere's in a panicked, rushed farewell. 'I'll be back, Guinevere... I will, I promise. You have Anderson.'

And with that, Alice rushed out making her way back to Alexander's office. Guinevere didn't know this but that night, Alice was free, she had arrived at Alexanders office just after James had fleet after failing to kill anyone other than one innocent patient. Alexander turned Alice to ensure she was safe the next time James returned, once she awoke they both knew her newborn hunger simply wouldn't allow her to stay in the hospital filled with humans.

While Alice was hunting the woods miles away, Guinevere was sat crying in her bed, singing quietly to herself.

'Happy birthday to Guinevere...Happy birthday to...me'

authors note
Alice's departure is supposed to be abrupt, because although as a reader we knew this was coming Guinevere was left in the dark with it all so Alice's sudden departure feels like abandonment!! :)