|

Guinevere giggled, 'why hello mister rabbit!'

Guinevere giggled, 'why hello mister rabbit!'. Her hand was out, offering him a stroke. The rabbit sniffed her fingertips before rubbing his head against her palm, 'been exploring, have you? Oh how wonderful, I assume your wife is wondering where you are!' she conversed with the animal, sighing in content as she was told all about the rabbits recent travels.

Her white dress looked like a cloud surrounding her as she sat criss-crossed on the green, grass stains covered her skirt but she didn't mind. Her grandmother watched out of the window in disgust, shaking her head at the sight of the deluded girl.

'Guinevere darling! We aught to talk, you and me', the old woman folded one leg over the other- fixing the long skirt once she found comfort in her expensive chair. Her beady eyes watched as her granddaughter bid the rabbit her goodbyes and ran over to sit opposite the woman, nodding the two did not get along well. Dorothy had wanted a grandson, her dream of having a little boy to raise into a kind and polite gentleman were crushed when her daughter died during the birth of a little girl. Her granddaughter, had grown up to be nothing but a disappointment.

'Y-yes grandmother' Guinevere stuttered, pulling down the dress that sat a little higher than what the woman would approve of. The girl had recently turned eighteen, the age granted her with a spontaneous burst of freedom which urged her to disappear into the woods behind their home- something her grandmother also disapproved of for the habitat was 'too dirty for a civilised woman to roam'.

'What were you doing in the woods again, Guinevere Smith?' Dorothy shrilled, slamming her book down onto the table. She knew exactly what Guinevere was doing, it was something she did ever since she was young, it was something that scared the woman, something no normal human being should be capable of.

Guinevere shook her head, 'they're my friends mama, they are my harmless, fascinating friends'. She discovered her liking towards the woodland creatures on her 4th birthday and was amazed when they spoke back to her. Her grandmother initially brushed it off, convincing herself that the animals were simply interested in the food in the girls pockets.

'I'm sending you away, they will help' she nodded to herself, 'yes they will fix this all! Guinevere dear, the voices in your head are simply that. The animals do not communicate with you dear, that is utter nonsense. It was nonsense when you were four but you were simply a child! Yes, an imaginative, weird child - But, now? At the ripe age of Eighteen and you are still crazy? you are not well dear, they will help you, fix you.'

Guinevere stood up, 'no!'

Dorothy's eyes snapped up to the rude little girl, 'how dare you disrespect me with such tone, I took you in, I raised you, I keep a roof over your head, I gave you everything and in turn you tell me no?' The woman grew scarier with each step she took towards the girl, 'you are being sent away whether you like it or not, far away, Mississippi has a great place for monsters like you. I will not have you stay in this country any longer'