|

Guinevere curled up, sitting on a window ledge looking out onto the distant fields she had the pleasure of viewing from the community room

Guinevere curled up, sitting on a window ledge looking out onto the distant fields she had the pleasure of viewing from the community room. It was the room available to those patients that were well behaved, it didn't have much to it, other than a chess board, some tables and a jukebox but the window satisfies her enough.

Guinevere sighed, the view from the window reminded her that she was so close yet so far from any of her woodland friends. She opened the notebook and skipped past Alice's notes -despite the girl offering the book to her, she didn't feel it was her right to read what had been written. Alice had filled up pages and pages of her life, reading them would be intrusive and even though Guinevere wanted to know everything about the fascinating girl, she wanted to be told by Alice herself.

Guinevere began writing in the blank pages, smiling at her fond memories that she will never forget now they belong in the book.

                                                          6th April 1920
I first encountered the woodland friends on my fourth birthday, a magnificent owl approached me. Little me was singing a song when Mr. Owl joined in, oh how wonderful it was! He was quite the gentleman! Very charming, and had given me the most amazing advice after our little performance. Never shall I let his words drift far from my mind, I kept his advice in a little file in my brain shall I ever need to seek it. He told me, ''Love should not betray you, dismay or enslave you- but, will set you free'. Oh how right he was! The Wise Owl visited each week, offering advice each time he left.

A light finger brushed Guinevere's cheek, a stray tear had escaped her blue orbs without her knowledge, she hadn't even realised the emotional affect reminiscing on her old friend would have on her. 'It's okay to cry, though it hurts me to see', Alice sighed. Her eyes drifted down to see her notebook sat in the blonde's lap, Alice's eyes lit up- 'Oh, good! You are making use of it... Did you, did you happen to read-'

'-never, not without your encouragement!' Guinevere interrupted, placing her own hand on Alice's. 'I'd love to hear your story, someday, but it is your story to tell... in your own time'.

Alice nodded, smiling in appreciation, 'Well, I would love to hear your story. Please, Guinevere enlighten me on how a girl as kind as you got yourself in this place'. Ofcourse Alice had seen her coming but her vision didn't show much else, other than a scene of the two living happily together but Alice was yet to find out exactly what that meant.

Guinevere shook her head, 'No, no I didn't get myself in this mess! My... my grandmother she' Guinevere's hands balled into a fist, her nails digging deep into her palms from the anger that her grandmother made her feel. 'I was an innocent girl, my grandmother raised me because my mother died during childbirth. Oh, Alice my grandmother is not fond of the way that I've been living! You see, the lovely folk of the woods, they talk to me- Honest! They do!'

Alice smiled, nodding along, 'How wonderful' Alice encouraged. Guinevere chuckled at the sound of the words she previously used to describe Alice's gift.

'wonderful, exactly! Though grandmother would not agree with you on that one!' She giggled before reality hit, along with some tears. 'No, grandmother wanted me to be normal. To be a normal lady with normal friends and normal interests. But Alice! No one is normal, you know? How can I be normal when the person I am is what normality is to me?' Guinevere's fists tightened, Alice felt awful for the vulnerable girl. This grandmother seemed like dreadful company to keep.

Alice's eyes drifted down to the crying girls hands, noticing the harsh grasp. 'Hey, hey, hey' Alice whispered, attempting to loosen Guinevere's fists. She did so, revealing bloody nail indents on her slender hands. 'Oh Guinevere...look how sore'. They both winced at the sight.

'No more tears! Come on, let's go see Alexander, he will help with this' Alice bounced up holding out her hand for Guinevere to take.

Guinevere hesitated, questioning who this man she spoke of was but Alice very quickly eased her anxieties. 'Only the nicest man who works here, trust me- You're safe.'

Their hands intertwined and Guinevere grinned while Alice guided her to this so called 'Alexander', skipping the whole way there.

———
authors note
just incase you havent caught on, this book starts with human Alice!! Fun fact: She was in an asylum before she turned :)