-

The trio became close over the course of the week, whether they were playing chess, walking the long corridors or simply sat at the window sills- they were laughing

'So, Alice, would you rather eat a baby goat or a matter baby?' Anderson snickered, struggling to say the joke. Alice caught on, rolling her eyes and playing along, sighing she responded, 'what's a matter baby?'.

Anderson choked out, 'nothing much, what's the matter with you?'. The two found the basic joke to be the most funny thing in the world, perhaps it truly was but it was most likely because they had been locked in the asylum for one too many days and they were slowly becoming what they were there for being, crazy.

Guinevere looked at Anderson in horror, 'why on earth would you eat a baby goat?!', her eyes brimmed with tears at the thought of her animal friends being killed and eaten. Anderson reassured her and insisted the line was for comedic purposes only. Just as Alice was about to suggest another game of chess, they were interrupted by screams from the corridor.

'I'm not crazy! I'm not fucking crazy!' a broken voiced screamed despite their throat giving way, warning them that their voice would be lost if more screams were to be made. Men in all white strolled away, anyone from the outside would've melted at their tight shirts and muscular bodies but the patients knew better. The trio knew what they were capable of, Anderson refered to them as 'Lucifer's Handymen', and it suited them well. The punishments they carried on the people of the asylum were truly the devils work, as if their ideas of effective discipline was a page taken out of Satans own book.

'Your medicine, Miss.Smith' a monotone voice grabbed the attention of Guinevere and her friends, the nurse held out the tray with two tablets and a plastic cup of water. The girl sat in the wooden chair and brought up her bruised arms to hug her bare legs against her chest. She shook her head causing the knotted locks of blonde hair fall in-front of her face, turning her head away and making eye contact with Alice.

'Miss. Smith!' the nurse shouted, Alice's eyes shot up and glared at the man. Her eyes softened at the sight, Guin was cradling herself in desperate attempts to find comfort in the tense situation. Alice jumped up, tiptoeing over to the pair, she smiled and nodded over to Alexander to take over. The kinder doctor made his way over, taking the tray and telling the woman that he would take care of the situation. Alice crouched down, balancing to the same level as the scared girl.

'Guinevere?' she whispered, they looked into each others eyes and comfort was found. 'I know you don't want to take them, but there's been some confusion, sweetheart', the nickname brought a blush to her cheeks. 'They aren't going to take away your talent, they are for your head pain. The electric shocks aren't too kind... you must be in so much pain' Alice brushed her hand over Guinevere's shivering arm. She looked over to Anderson for some reassurance and he smiled offering to take his at the same time for support, Guinevere nodded, looking up at Alexander for the tray and taking the tablets.

Alexander nodded gratefully to Alice and Anderson, 'Thank you'. Alice shrugged, grinning, she knew the girl would listen. Alex nodded over to the hallway, silently asking Alice to follow him, as she did. The two left Guinevere sat in her seat, humming a tune and smiling to herself while Anderson braided her hair- a talent he had learnt as a young boy living in a house of women.

'I have a plan for next week!' Alexander grinned to Alice, 'Once you've changed you will make your way to Carlisle Cullen- the man you had a vision about! Once he has helped you control your hunger, you will write to me, then I will change Guinevere and send her your way' Alexander was pleased with himself, though Alice didn't think his plan was the best she didn't have the heart to tell him.

'Anderson? We can't leave him too!' Alice had grown fond of the boys company, Alexander groaned pinching his nose in frustration.

'Oh yes Alice, why don't I help all the patients escape! You know that is not eff-'

'- He came up in a vision! His mate is waiting for him! At Carlisle's home with his son!' she lied, but Alexander didn't need to know that Anderson had no real reason to change other than Alice wanting him around.

Alexander shrugged, 'fair well then, I will send him with Guinevere too'.

Alice grinned and they bid their goodbyes, she returned to her friends with a racing heart overjoyed that her and her friends will live forever together. Gaining their well deserved freedom and happiness.

——
authors note
How are we enjoying this book? Am I doing okay?