25 - New Family Member

When the winter months were over, the girls began on their landscape plans. Of course they wanted some kind of garden in their yard. Claiming it was going to be somewhat therapeutic for them both to tend to something. While digging up a patch of the grass and prepping the ground for the new soil and what not, they heard a rustling noise. Sana jumped at the sound, hiding behind Momo.

"What is it..." Sana whimpered. Momo stepped closer, seeing a small kitten cowering in the bushes next to their fence.

"Oh it's a baby kitten..." Momo whispered. She held out her hand, hearing the kitten hiss at her almost immediately.

"It's mom has to be nearby right?" Sana frowned. "It's so tiny."

"We can leave food out fo it. Too bad we don't have tuna.." Momo frowned. Sana nodded, running back to the house. When she came back, she had a tiny bowl in her hands, filled with chunks of wet chicken.

"We did have a can of chicken." Sana smiled while handing her the bowl. Momo held it out for the kitten, silently trying to coax it out of its hiding place. It took a few steps forward, hissing at Momo still before grabbing a chunk of the chicken and backing away from her. As soon as that kitten disappeared, another popped out. This time a ash grey colored one, with ashy brown patches along its body. It wandered up to Momo, shoving its head in the bowl and mewing softly.

"This one looks sick..." Momo immediately frowned.

"Should we help it?" Sana frowned.

"I would hate myself if I didn't." Momo whispered.

"What about it's sibling...?" She asked.

"Maybe leave it be... It doesn't look sick." Momo held her hand out for the kitten to sniff, which the little kitten did, and ended up rubbing its head against her knuckles. "We're keeping it and naming it." Momo said while picking up the small kitten and running back to the house, leaving the bowl of chicken for the other cat.

"Momo! You can't just keep!" Sana groaned. She looked back at the other kitten, who again hissed at her. She decided it was best to leave that one alone.

That night, Momo had cleaned the little kitten in the sink, carefully picking the little fleas off of the poor thing and towel drying it. She prepped a small cat friendly meal for the little baby and had a tiny bowl of milk next to the food. Sana thought it was adorable seeing her tend to the little kitten.

"You know the baby needs a name." Sana chuckled. "We can't keep calling it baby."

"Yes we can and you know that." Momo pointed. "It's a really pretty color.. What do you see?" She asked while holding up the kitten to Sana.

"Different shades of grey." Sana sighed. "What colors is it?" She asked, closing her eyes and letting Momo describe the kitten.

"Well, its that ashy grey... You know the pale grey that looks really pretty." Momo smiled. "And it has a few pale brown patches on it's back." She continued. "And it's eyes... Are blue. Blue like the sky in the summer." She explained. Sana could barely see the colors in her mind, being colorblind for this long had taken a toll on her memory. She knew what colors were and knew they were all different, but to her, a lot of them just looked the same.

"It sounds beautiful." Sana whispered. When she opened her eyes to look up at Momo, she saw the light in her eyes, seeing the deep brown rather than black. She held her eyes open for as long as she could, taking in the small colors until her eyes started watering from lack of blinking. When she did, the colors were gone.

The couple had agreed to name the baby after seeing a vet. Finding out the gender and getting medicine for the little baby. Once the cat was fully updated on shots, medicated and cleared by the vet, they knew that they could officially name the baby.

"Okay. Now that you're on the road to being healthy and we finally have a little box, we should name you." Sana smiled while playing with the little kitten on the floor.

"Let the naming ceremony begin!" Momo chanted from the kitchen.

"Miku!" Sana gasped. Momo looked at her, seeing Sana's excited face, she couldn't say no.

"Miku it is." She laughed.

Sana and Momo had attempted multiple times to retrieve the sibling, but accepted that they couldn't and resorted to just leaving a bowl of chicken out for the cat to eat at night. That way they knew the cat was taken care of. Miku on the other hand was enjoying the luxuries of living indoors. Whenever the duo would get home from work, he was right there greeting them with a little meow and purring like mad. Momo would lift him and carry him like a little baby, eventually getting a hoodie with a kangaroo pocket to set him in. He loved it. Sana grew jealous of the attention Momo was giving her, but eventually got over it because it was a cat. Not another human.

"Mikuuu." Momo cooed. Sana let out a small scoff, looking over at the two from her side of the couch. She had a book in hands, trying to enjoy the silent time, but couldn't help but see how adorable the two were. "Sanaaa!" Momo cooed in the exact same voice, causing her girlfriend to burst into laughter.

"You love that cat more than me don't you." She smirked.

"Never." Momo smiled. "I loved you first." She winked.

"Always and forever?" Sana asked, her voice quiet. She didn't know if Momo had heard her, and honestly, she didn't want her too. It was more of a question for herself. She was surprised to see Momo resting her head on Sana's knee, smiling up at her.

"Always and forever." She whispered.