22 - Funeral

It was sudden. Momo didn't know how to react, but everything seemed to have stopped when she heard the horrible words from her sister. Sana stayed by her side during the funeral, holding her hand tightly as Momo silently cried.

"Do you want to stay with me?" Sana suggested, knowing that the girl shouldn't be alone.

"I'll be fine." She mumbled. Sana shook her head, pulling her into a tight embrace. Momo started bawling her eyes out. She clutched onto Sana tightly, hiding her face in the crook of her neck. "It's okay... Let it out." Sana whispered.

"I'm going to miss her so much."Momo cried. Sana let her cry into her neck, knowing it was what she needed.

The couple sat in her childhood home, Momo holding a picture of her family in her hands. Tears were long gone now, just silence. Momo thought back to the times when she was happy with her mom. All of the good memories she had.

"Sana.. Have you talked to your parents lately?" Momo whispered.

"Just my mom... Dad refuses to talk to me since I declined his job offer." Sana answered quietly. Momo nodded staying quiet again. The two stayed in silence for a while, neither wanting to interrupt. Sana quietly stood from the couch walking down the hall to get air.

She sat out on the porch, looking at the other little houses in the small neighborhood. The neighbors had brought many gifts, all of them apologizing to Momo and her sister. They all knew each other well. Almost like a tiny family. It was nothing like her old neighborhood. She glanced down at her phone, seeing a call from her mother coming through.

"Hi mom.." Sana sighed.

"How is she?" Her mother asked, concern filled her voice. Even though Momo wasn't her daughter, and she didn't approve of her education, she made her daughter happy and that was all that mattered right now.

"She's... I don't know... Quiet.." Sana frowned. "She's hurting." She added.

"The poor thing. Don't leave her side Sana. She's going to need someone." Her mother explained.

"I won't." Sana whispered. "Mom.. I really love her." She sighed.

"I know." Her mother spoke quietly.

"I-I want to marry her soon..." she admitted. "I don't want to let her go."

It was quiet for a long minute. The breath catching in Sana's throat when she heard her mother finally speak.

"If she makes you that happy.. I'm willing to accept her in my family." She finally sighed.

"Thank you mom." Sana let out a few happy tears, finally happy she could tell her everything.

When the call ended, Sana looked down at the lawn, everything various shades of grey and white. She looked up at the sky, and for a brief moment, she saw the pinks and purples of the sunset. When she blinked, they were gone. She remembered what colors looked like. She missed having the color in her life.

But being with Momo, she felt like she was all the color she needed.

The two had sorted everything away, both working to clean the small house. Hana had helped more than ever, each of them donating clothes, blankets various things. Keeping other treasures that were special to them from their mothers things.

"What about the house?" Hana asked her sister. "Are we going to try and sell it?" She frowned.

"No one is going to buy this.. this shack." Momo frowned while looking up at the house.

Granted, it was the place she had grown up, after her and her sister went off the college, the house began to have a lot of problems. Leaky roof, broken windows... hard to maintain really.

"Maybe the property is worth something..." Hana mumbled. Momo looked at the house, a feeling overwhelming her.

"No... Sana and I can live here." She finally spoke.

"What?" Hana scoffed.

"We've been looking for a place forever. Why look for an apartment when we can live here?" She asked her sister. "You and your boyfriend are happy in the city. Sana and I live apart from each other now." She shrugged.

It was an option. One that Momo hadn't ever considered until now.

"What do you think?" Momo asked her. Sana let out a sigh, looking at everything in front of her. The documents stating what was wrong with the house, how much everything would cost to fix everything...

"Momorin... I know we wouldn't have to pay a mortgage..." she sighed. "Or rent. But the bills alone on this.." she looked over the numbers, running everything in her head multiple times.

"Look we don't order take out for at least a year." Momo tried to reason with her.

"Unless you plan on gardening too for vegetables we would never be able to afford all of this.." she sighed. "My salary yeah is a lot but not enough.." she frowned. She glanced up to see a saddened look on her face. "But... I guess we can make it work." She placed her hand on Momo's, smiling at her. "Together."