Almost(Liam)

Songs-

Possibility- Lykke Li

Cold- Aqualung and Lucy Schwartz

Roslyn- Bon Iver & St Vincent

Blackbird- The Beatles

Not About Angels- Birdy

"It's almost done, love almost there," I try to comfort Rachel.

She only nods, the anesthesia coursing through her veins has taken a toll on her, and for that I'm glad. When the baby's heart rate started to drop, I couldn't stand to see the look on her face as they wheeled her into the operating room for an emergency C-Section.

I rub my thumb across her pink cheek, her eyes heavy as she stares back at me,

"I love you," she says, barely audible.

I lean down to give her a kiss on her forehead as I squeeze her hand. I hear a commotion coming from the other side of us.

"The heart rate keeps dropping, you have to hurry," I think I hear one of them say.

Rachel's eyes reel, her worried glance meeting my own.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"The baby's heart rate is dropping quickly, we're trying to get her out as fast as we can," a doctor replies.

"Liam," I hear Rachel's weak voice.

"Yes, love, what is it?" I try to keep a calm façade up for her, wiping away a tear on her cheek.

"What's going on?" he voice is slow.

"Just a little hiccup, love, nothing to worry about."

I can feel it coming. The hysteria building in my chest is beginning to bubble over the sides, threatening to spill. That's when I hear it.

"She's not crying, come cut the cord."

I keep my eyes on Rachel as I feel the bile in my stomach begin to rise. She tries to stay awake as I hold her hand in my own.

"Liam, what's wrong with our baby girl? Why isn't she crying?"

I can only shrug my shoulders as the take the baby out of the room.

"Liam. Please tell me."

"I don't know, love, I don't know," I say, my voice cracking on the last word.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I rub my hands together, playing with the wedding ring on my finger, as I wait for the doctors to come through the door, telling everything is going to be okay.

"Would you like to meet your daughter?" a nurse appears from behind a door, gesturing for me to come with her.

It's been two hours since she was born, and they led me out of the room as they stitched Rachel back up. I follow her closely, needing to see my baby, to know she was alright.

She pushes open another door, the only light coming from the corner. Rachel is already here, her hand holding our baby's. I come and sit next to her, the feeling in the room somewhat forlorn.

"I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but we don't know how much longer she'll last, her lungs weren't fully developed and she has some heart defects. I'm sorry."

Rachel leans over, despite the pain she's in, holding her hand in her face, sobs, racking her frame. I look at the baby girl in the incubator, her chest barely rising, her frail little body connected to so many tubes and IVs. I hold Rachel in my arms as my worst nightmare comes to life.

I reach into the hole and touch her cold skin. I wipe my thumb over her small head, her dark curly, dark hair soft to the touch.

"I love you, so much. We'll be together one day. Don't worry." I tell the baby girl.

Rachel leans into my shoulder as we cry over the dying baby girl in front of us. The faint sound of the heart monitor gets slower, her heart rate dropping as she takes her last breaths in this life.

"I didn't even get to hold her," Rachel says into my chest as she shakes uncontrollably.

"I know. I know," I say as the pieces of me fall to the white floor beneath us.

One Direction One Shotsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें