Restless Heart(Liam)

I stir in my sleep, reaching over to find Liam, but he isn't in the bed. My eyes pry open, I'm confused as I look around. He isn't even in the room. I slowly sit up, the covers falling off of my chest. I tiredly rub my eyes as I try to wake myself up. I throw my legs over the side of the bed, my feet touching the soft carpet beneath me. I lean over to turn the lamp on, squinting when my eyes try to adjust to the sudden light.

I step down from our bed, making my way to the open door. I gaze down the hall to see a faint light coming from our baby girl's room. I pad quietly down the hall, careful not to make any noise.

I reach the white door decorated with pink flowers, peeking my head in slightly, pulling back when I realize Liam is in there. He's standing over Annie's crib, his finger grasped in her tiny hand. I smile as I hear him sing softly to her. The lyrics to Little Things flows through the room, calming our squirming daughter. I put my back to the wall as I listen to his beautiful voice.

I sneak another glance in the door, seeing him take her in his large hands, bringing her to his chest, cuddling her close. Her cries have begun to settle, little gurgles of contentment sounding from her. He strolls over to the white rocking chair in the corner of the room, sitting slowly, bringing Annie closer to him.

He gently rocks back and forth, his eyes never leaving the baby in his strong arms.

"You're so beautiful, you know that Annie?" I hear Liam coo, "Just like your mum. I remember the day I met her like it was yesterday. It was at a Meet and Greet actually. I had seen thousands of girls, some of them really pretty too. But then your mum showed up, and man was she stunning. I couldn't keep my eyes off of her," I could almost hear him smile.

"I pulled her aside before any of the other girls saw me, but I asked her for her number. You should have seen the look on her face when I did. Priceless. I took her on our first date that night. She looked so gorgeous in her little blue sundress, her hair blond and wavy. She was so nervous, and I can sure say the same about myself."

I feel a blush creep onto my cheeks as he reminisces with our daughter. He continues.

"Then there was the day she agreed to marry me. It's definitely in the top five best nights of my life, our marriage being first and of course when you came into our lives," he tells her, as if to assure her, "We were sat on our living room couch, snuggled up close to each other when I asked her. She looked at me with her beautiful eyes and said yes. I've never seen her smile so wide."

A single tear leaks from my eyes.

"Then there's the actual day I made her mine, officially. She was so breathtaking in her white gown, a certain glow to her. Your mum has made me the luckiest guy alive. She married me, and then even better than that, she gave me you. I couldn't have asked for a better gift from her. The day she brought you into the world was one I'm never going to forget. I love you so much, I hope you know that. I'm never gonna let you get hurt, don't worry. I'll be your knight in shining armor."

He stands after a couple minutes, setting her back down in her crib, touching a fingertip to her warm, plump cheek. He grins before leaving the room, turning off the lamp on his way out. He walks past me, quickly realizing that I'm standing there.

"What are you doing up?" he asks as he approaches me, "Are you crying?"

I laugh a bit, wiping the remaining tears on my cheeks, "Sorry, I don't know why I'm crying."

He smiles, taking my hand in his, "What are you doing out here?"

"I got a bit worried when I didn't find you in the bed, so I went looking for you, but then got caught up in you talking to Annie."

"So you heard all that?" he asks as we enter our room.

I nod, sliding into the bed, feeling as he lays next to me, wrapping me securely in his arms. He nuzzles his head into my neck, kissing sweetly behind my ear.

"I love you," I whisper as a minute of silence passes.

He hums, his breath slow and heavy, "And I love you, Mrs. Payne."