Loose Ends

In the corner of a chest is something briefly forgotten. An uncut stone the size of a fist. It was dark as fresh blood. But it was forgotten, and that is what made it so powerful. Yes, it would rise again.

In the headmaster's office, Dumbledore himself paced back and fourth. Things were, not necessarily wrong, but different from how he planned. A dark artifact had entered the school. Not unexpected. But it hadn't been taken in by one of the Slytherins. He had all of their rooms searched when they were in class and set up several detection spells that would notify him if something came out of a trunk. So he was at a loss. Although the Philosopher's Stone had also registered as a dark artifact. But that hadn't gone well either. And there was a possibility that he picked the wrong twin! He was sure it was Hestia. Both adult Potters were magically powerful. It was possible that the twins cores had been the same size. If Hadrian survived the killing curse he would need time to recover it. He felt nothing extraordinary powerful from the boy but on that night he never saw James pick up Harry. If he had lost the savior...
"If... I heard the prophecy. Only one has the power. Voldemort may have lost his memory. He'll easily think the boy must have done it. Then I'll hit him with Hestia. I was just overthinking, as he is likely to do. Know your enemy. Yes... Having the boy could do nicely."
He forgot what started the pacing.

The chickens are scared.

Gilderoy Lockhart had two magical talents. Tracking people down, and erasing their memories. And these particular skills had led him to an old lady. She had led him straight to a new job. Yes. He had a ticket to political power with the great Albus Dumbledore.

Ron ran up to the Gryffindor dorms and plopped down on his bed.

Hey Thomas!
Ronald. What a surprise.
Yeah. But, at the first day of school party last night, Hestia told us that he-who-must-not-be-named really had red eyes!
How gruesome. I do wonder what happened that kept her alive?
Mom says she was destined to defeat him. It's just a rumor tho.
Though Ronald.
All this is going to make me special right?
Of course Ronald. You will be powerful and popular. Anything you'd want would be yours. All yours. I can make it happen. Just listen.

For a moment the whites of Ron's eyes went red. Then he yawned and called through his curtains, "I'm off to bed everyone!"