Chapter 27: Murder Suspect

Start from the beginning

"I am a woman. I have a number of reasons why I would leave for a moment," I said as I fiddled in my chair.

"...Those reasons are?" Investigator Smithing asked.

"...If you must ask so forwardly, the powder room," I said shyly. The two in the back coughed nervously this time. "I would rather not go into the details."

"If you would please..." Investigator Smithing said with a slight perverted wheeze in his voice.

The two in the back coughed nervously.

"I am telling your wife," the young woman said again.

Investigator Smithing coughed nervously.

"Among other activities, I was also powdering my nose," I said shyly.

"I would like to show you an item," Investigator Smithing said as he placed a bloody hairpin on the table.

It was the same hairpin that I used to kill Teacher...

"Why would you show me such a brutish item?" I asked as I placed a handkerchief over my mouth and acted distressed. "Please take it away."

"My apologies, Lady Lemaire," Investigator Smithing said as he took away the evidence. "Do you mind telling me if you recall this particular item?"

...Particular item?

Was he trying to get me to say what it is?

The hairpin was a customized item I had made from Arthur. It had an oddly long shape and sharp end on one end and a small decorative piece on the other. Most hairpins on the market were much shorter in length and had a bigger decorative piece on the other side, while this one utilized eastern design from my past life.

If you asked a woman that never saw it before what it was with one look, they would not be able to give a clear answer...

"I cannot say that I have. What is it?" I asked.

This is the correct answer to your tricks, Investigator Smithing...

"It seems to be a hairpin. The maker of this accessory is a Blacksmith named Arthur. I have heard that you have visited the shop several times. Did you not purchase an accessory there?" Investigator Smithing asked.

"Are you insinuating that the accessory belongs to me?" I asked.

"Not many woman have visited Arthur's shop besides his daughter and wife," Investigator Smithing said.

"Let me tell you how I know that I did not purchase this item...I have never purchased an item from the Blacksmith Arthur's shop," I said confidently.

Sheze purchased the items, so I did not technically pay for them even though I ordered them.

"You never bought anything from his shop? Why would you even go there if you were not going to buy anything?" Investigator Smithing asked.

"I just accompanied my male partner there. You can even ask him about whether or not I made a purchase. Also, I can order any accessory I want from an accredited jeweler since I am a Noble, so there is no need for me to seek out a Blacksmith not specialized in women's accessories for my use," I reasoned.

"Do you mind me asking about your relationship with Count Bernard Furst?" Investigator Smithing asked.

"I am not acquainted," I quickly answered.

"...Count Bernard Furst apparently has a room filled with your paintings," Investigator Smithing said.

"I am flattered as well as extremely bothered to hear that a man has collected a room's worth of my paintings without my permission," I said.

"...Do you know of why he may have your paintings?" Investigator Smithing asked.

"I am just as stumped as you are as to why any man would want a painting of me," I said as I tilted my head.

"...It also seems that you were packing to leave somewhere, could I ask where you are going and why you are leaving?" Investigator Smithing asked.

"If you must know, I am going on a trip to recover from my heartbreak. It seems like my former lover and best friend are getting together, so I want to leave the country for a bit," I said honestly.

"I would like to apologize to you Lady Lemaire, but I would like you to halt your vacation plans until we are able to properly sort this case out," Investigator Smithing said.

"...That is truly unfortunate news," I said.

I was released after that. It seems like they no longer had any questions for me.

On the way out, the young man who was also in the room came to see me out.

"L-Lady Lemaire, I am Investigator Hughes. If you would do not mind, won't you join me for some tea?" he asked.

Is he still suspicious of me?

"Investigator Hughes, I believe that it is a bit inappropriate to ask me out so soon after questioning," I said.

"You are completely right," Investigator Hughes said dejectedly.

"I do not mind if you invite me again after it is done," I said with a smile.

"Until then," Investigator Hughes said as he waved at me.

[The Investigators after Lilian left...]

"Lilian Lemaire, huh?"  Investigator Smithing said.

"She is a beauty," Investigator Hughes said.

"Is that all you can think about?" Investigator Smithing asked.

"She did not completely reject my offer for tea!" Investigator Hughes said.

"What are your thoughts on the Questioning?" Investigator Smithing asked.

"She is definitely innocent," Investigator Hughes said confidently.

"You...Think a little deeper," Investigator Smithing said. "Her answers were perfect...The only time where she made a mistake was when I brought out the murder weapon."

"I think her response was pretty normal," Investigator Hughes said. "She immediately asked you to take it away after showing it to her."

"She was a bit too calm...A young woman who has lived a sheltered life would have flinched or at least screamed upon seeing a weapon covered in blood. It was almost as if she knew what the murder weapon was and planned how to act accordingly," Investigator Smithing said.

"Are you going to pursue her?" Investigator Hughes asked.

"No..." Investigator Smithing said.

"Is it because she looks like your niece who was driven to suicide by Count Bernard Furst?" Investigator Hughes asked.

"I was too late in saving my niece from being sold to a brothel, but now that her killer is dead, all I want to do is retire now," Investigator Smithing said.