I've loved baseball since I came out of the womb. My mom actually thought she would have me in Florida while my dad was in spring training, but the doctor put her on bed rest and my Abuela insisted she fly home before she was no longer allowed.

I've always thought that's where my love started, but now, I don't know. The jersey I have on just feels wrong and it's not even mine. Maybe I just need to toss the ball around. In a few weeks I'll be back on the field for one last travel game. I'm just worried, that's all.

All I need is to be reminded of what it feels like.

Shoving aside my worries, I walk into AP Bio and slap a stack of papers down in front of Chloe.

"What's this?" She asks, turning the page in her book.

"Our lab report."

This gets her attention, closing the book, she laughs. "Cute, but I already turned it in."

"Yes, but I took it back and fixed your mistakes."

"I didn't have any mistakes." She grits her teeth and it's my turn to laugh.

"A few actually, here's your report." I toss it on top of the other. "All the errors I circled in red pen."

Skimming through her report, the tips of her ears turn bright red. "How could you even read to make sure they're wrong."

My pencil snaps in one motion. Leaning close, I rip her report in half. "Despite what you think, I can read." It takes more effort, but I can do it. "And I had my brother proofread just to make sure I was correct."

She gulps, uncomfortable as I lean over to her ear. "No one likes a quickie when it's sloppy."

Getting up, I turn in my work and return to find her still struggling to breathe.

"You're a pig."

"No, I'm not as worthless as you think I am." I clear my throat. "We can get together Wednesday night to do the next report together."

"Fine." She finally gives in. "Your place."

"Nope, yours."

"Absolutely not." She blurts out and I grin, someone's defensive.

"Why not?"

"My mom doesn't like to have people over." She offers quickly. "Why not yours?"

"Because I'd prefer for my personal space to not be tainted by you." I snip.

"It's your house or nothing." She says before paying attention to our teacher.

Sure, like that will happen.

*****

Wednesday night, I'm glaring a hole through the front door as I wait for the now constant pain in my ass to arrive. I didn't give into her demand; I just made a smart move. She can't kill me in my own home if I have three witnesses.

Hearing the sound of Doc Martens on wood, I open the door before she can knock. "Take your shoes off."

"Why?" She demands as I'm already moving for the kitchen.

"My house, my rules."

Eventually, she files into the kitchen and I say nothing as she sits down. We work in silence for close to an hour, glaring as we correct each other's errors on a shared google doc. Whoever said communication is needed to be successful never put two people who hate each other in the same room.

"Your house is nice." Chloe finally offers, studying the kitchen.

"Thanks, I guess." That was not something I expected her to say. Those types of comments are usually reserved for the adults who talk to Scarlett.