17

It was night time and Nova notices the red butterfly again. She groans a little before following it silently. It leads her all the way to the school she once attended. Voices bucket behind her.

"You're supposed to call us after you find the dead body!" Stiles exclaims while Lydia shouts back, "Oh no, I'm not finding one by myself again. You should find it."

"Guys," Scott stops them as he sees Nova standing by the school sign, "I think someone already found it."

Nova finally turns to them and opens her mouth wide before letting out a shrill scream. Blood starts to drip down her nose as she takes a shaking hand to it. Scott grabs her and holds her tight, "Nova!"

"Holy shit. She's like you." Stiles whispers to Lydia who squints before widening her eyes, "The two geniuses. Of course, it makes sense."

"Geniuses. Really. Couldn't even find the dead body. Calls herself a genius." Stiles mutters as Allison scowls at him.

The next day at school Scott and Stiles confront Ethan just as Nova rounds the corner, her footsteps slowing down a bit as she hears them talking.

"I helped kill your friend. How do you know I won't kill another?" Ethan asks and Nova raises an eyebrow. Peeking around the corner, she sees Stiles get worked up, "Is he looking at me? Are you threatening me? You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna break off an extra large branch of mountain ash, wrap it in wolfsbane, and shove it up your werewolf-"

"Woah, there, love. Calm down, will you?" Nova jumps onto the steps and pushes Stiles back gently by putting her hands on his abdomen. She smiles softly at him as both Scott and him look on confused, "Let's not get too heated, honey."

Sneaking a glance at Scott, she says, "Can I borrow him for a moment?"

Scott nods in confusion as Nova drags a reluctant Stiles down the steps.

"What are you pulling me for?" Stiles says as he trips over his own feet before Nova stops outside of school. She looks at him in shame, "I'm pretty sure this is the stupidest thing I could be talking to you about right now. But I can't go to Lydia because she would dismiss it. I can't go to Ivy because she wasn't even here."

"What about Scott?" Stiles points to the door and Nova bites her lip, "I can't."

"Ok," Stiles squints his eyes before sighing, "What's up?"

"I need someone I can trust. Like truly one hundred percent. Can you be that person?" Nova says and her eyes plead with his. He cups her cheeks and brings her face close before whispering, "Can I trust you?"

Nova blinks a couple times before nodding slowly, "Yes."

"Then consider me your new best friend." Stiles grins and yelps a little when Nova jumps on him in excitement, "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!"

A text signals Stiles to leave as Nova promises to meet him afterwards. She walks around the school, noticing the new English teacher rushing off under the bridge. Curious, she follows. She gasps silently as she sees the teacher and Derek making out. Derek had been gone since that night that he killed Boyd. In a way, she was happy that he found someone to love. Someone who could make him smile.

As the lady leaves, Nova makes herself known to Derek. He watches her walk over to him. He never noticed how much different she looked. It had nearly been almost a year of her being gone.

"New girlfriend, I see." Nova says and Derek raises his eyebrows in surprise "Thought you weren't going to talk to me."

"I never said that. Just said I wasn't particularly fond of you, right now." Nova sighs and Derek nods. He walks over to her and strokes his thumb over her cheek, "You know, one thing of many that I always notice about you, are these round, soft baby cheeks you have. They remind me of a time that was much more innocent. I really wish I was better at handling my temper long enough to notice the little things that matter more than ego."

Nova studies his face for a moment before turning away, "I wish that, too."

She walks away and speeds up with every step until she is standing in front of Stiles's Jeep. She sees Cora and him walk out and she scrunches her eyebrows together.

"We need to call Allison." Stiles says as they get into the car. Nova takes out a napkin from her back pack and takes some tequila out of her front pocket.

"How do you have that?" Stiles asks and Nova shrugs, "I stole it from my ex's house."

"Great." Stiles mumbles as Allison picks up. Nova continues onto cleaning Cora's wound gently. Flinching when she does from the pain.

"Sorry." Nova whispers and Cora grabs her hand before placing a small kiss on it, "It's okay, baby sister. Thank you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nova stands next to Scott as he promises Lydia he'll be there for them. In a few moments, she disappears and Stiles approaches them, "Where is Lydia?"

"Shit," Scott mutters as they all rush outside. Nova groans when she sees a pink butterfly approach them.

"Come on, follow me." She grumbles as they follow her in curiosity. She gets to the classroom just in time for Scott to step in and attack the Darach. Nova hurries in to untie Lydia as the girl blubbers out, "A wailing woman. That's what she called me. Just like you."

Nova looks at her friend and nods, "Yes, we got that. Now, go!"

After pushing Lydia out of the classroom, Nova turns to face the darach who cocks her head at the girl.

"You don't know what you are, either," the Darach scoffs, "What a waste of power."

Nova opens her mouth to scream but then she gasps as the Darach captures her in a wire. With one pull, both her and the Sheriff were gone.