35

Water. Dripping onto something...

Nova opens her eyes slowly, groaning softly at the light in the room. Looking around with squinted eyes, she notices a chandelier above her.

Where was she?

She looks around, finding a cat sitting on top of a brown set of boxes. The cat sits, licking itself and occasionally looking around before it notices her, purring softly at her, Nova recognizes it.

"Sera."

The cat leaps down before jumping onto the bed next to Nova, cuddling into her. Nova pets her softly, smiling at the thought of her childhood pet until she remembers. Why was her childhood pet here?

"You're awake." The voice sent chills down her back. She knew whose it was, but she was scared to look and confirm it.

"Why am I here?" She hoarsely speaks out and a low chuckle can be heard, "We have unfinished business, pet."

"We have no business. I am free from you," Nova raises up and glares at the man who simply grins at her like a sly fox, "Is it?"

The Maestre walks around the bed, sitting on the bedside, caressing her hair. Nova freezes under his touch.

"Don't you want to see your parents?"

Nova scoffs, "How many times are villains going to use that verse? They're dead, dipshit."

The Maestre scoffs, "I meant I could revive them."

"Yeah, 'cause you suddenly have magic powers."

"Nova-"

"Don't call me that. You have no right."

The Maestre sighs, "Your grandmother left out the part where you would be so difficult. You should be glad I saved you from being that leech's wife. One day, you would end up like him and all your powers will be frozen."

"Wait, what?"

"Yes, it is such a shame, honestly. That's the tricky part about being a phoenix. You can only be one-"

"Did you just say my grandmother?"

The Maestre pauses and nods, "Yes."

"You talked to her?"

"Well, of course. She's my niece."

Nova looks the Maestre up and down in curiosity, "I'm sorry what?"

He grimaces, "Long story short, I'm a-"

His comment gets shut off by a loud gagging sound made by the cat. As both turn to look at it, the grandfather clock strikes six.

"It's almost time..." The Maestre whispers before turning to Nova, "You must get dressed immediately. He will want to see you soon."

"He, who?"

"The Dark Phoenix, king of all Phoenixes. He's been waiting for you."

Nova looks at him in confusion. All this information was making her head hurt and to be honest, she just wanted to be home cuddled up in bed and eating pizza.

"You're meant to be his bride, as you are the last Phoenix."

"Hold up, I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. So your crazy ass is telling me that I'm related to you, my parents can be revived, and you brought me here to marry some old guy?"

The Maestre sighs before getting up to pull a dress out of the wardrobe, "I'll sum it up. The Dark Phoenix is the most powerful and oldest Phoenix, and only he is able to breed a true Phoenix... one that is solely here to be just that. You see how you have powers like a banshee? Because your mother was one. Your father a shape shifter of some sort."

He continues as he starts pulling out the accessories, "Point is, your mother and father were trying to find a cure for you as at the time, you were being hunted by the Phoenix kingdom for being essentially this child born without true breeding. More like this genetic mutation. So we traveled as a circus in hopes of finding someone, anyone who may have an answer to this phenomenon. At one of the shows, a true Phoenix attended and caught a whiff of you, and she set the place ablaze."

Nova looks at him in shock, "Set the place ablaze? I thought I did that..."

"Nonsense, you didn't know how to even light a fire back then. The only reason we could tell you were a Phoenix were your eyes, they would flash that beautiful chromatic color every now and then. That's what the true Phoenix happened to see that night. Your eyes, and she was livid. You see, Phoenixes are a tight knit community. You're either in the group or not, and quite frankly you weren't in the family."

The Maestre pauses before looking at the time and quickening his words, "Your mother and father died protecting you, and I had to send you away. So you could be safe. Because I was found by the Dark Phoenix and forever bound to be his eyes. If I were to ever see you again, I would have to bring you to be his bride so he may use your power to make his kingdom strong once again. Which is why you didn't see me for many years. And I didn't expect to see you so soon, but as I was doing my daily search for him, I happened to cross paths with you."

"So now what happens?"

"Well," the Maestre looks at her, "You have to marry him, and he's going to kill you so you can have your ultimate transition."

"How many times do I have to die?" Nova groans and falls back into the bed.

"The Dark Phoenix's kill is a sure lock. It'll lock your powers in place. You'll remain immortal forever. Well until one kills you. Not the Phoenix you, the human you. Because unlike the other  Phoenixes, you have human blood in you, making you vulnerable."

A knock on the door silenced them and they both turn to see a guard with a black bird mask peering in at them, "You have five minutes."

As soon as his face disappears, the Maestre shoves a knife into Nova's hand, "Once he turns you, you'll have exactly seven seconds before he turns all powerful from your energy. Make sure to slash off his wings before plunging this into his heart. It'll kill him. And you can be free."

Without giving any more information, the Maestre rushes out of the room. Nova, once again, sits down confused.

Death would be inevitable. But was it for her or for the king?