Chapter 50

"We can't change what has happened," Charles said in a soft tone.

"But we can learn from it. Charles, can you take me to Benjamin?"

Charles looks at Alarick for permission. Alarick nods.

"Come with me," Charles says and leads me to the prison.

I am now standing in front Benjamin's cell. He is sitting on the ground with his head bowed.

"Benjamin," I call out his name.

He looks up at me and asks, "Where's Joshua?"

"He's no more in this world."

"Did Alarick kill him?"

"No. Uncle accidentally stabbed Joshua with the wolfsbane syringe."

"Why can't you just die!" He exclaimed in a violent outburst.

"Maybe my time hasn't come yet."

"I wasn't even able to see my friend getting buried."

"What would you have done if you got the chance?"

"I would've buried myself with him."

"Why did the three of you embark on this journey of revenge?"

"So, only Alarick is allowed to take revenge?" He taunts me.

I shake my head in disapproval. "Why did everyone think about revenge?" I say to myself. "It was revenge that killed Joshua," I tell him.

"We just wanted justice!"

"At the cost of other people's lives?"

"Have you tried giving this moral lecture to Alarick?"

"Yes, I did. I even gave this lecture to his father. Benjamin, revenge doesn't make lives, it ruins them. Kurt's life was ruined, Joshua's life was ruined. And now, your life will be ruined too."

"I don't care. I'm glad that I was on the side of my brothers."

"You're blinded by hate. I wish I could do something to help you."

"You can help me by dying."

"If my death could bring back Kurt and Joshua then I would've gladly injected myself with wolfsbane."

*

"How did it go with Mr. West?" Matt asks once I'm back.

"It didn't go well with him," I answer. And I tell him and Darius what had happened at Mr. West's house and at Alarick's pack house.

"So, what now?" Matt questions me.

"I'm thinking about getting away from here for sometime. A lot has happened in my life in these past months. I want to explore places, gain new perspectives."

Darius puts his arm around my shoulders and says, "I'll come with you."

"I don't want my irritating friend to accompany me," I joke.

"Hey!" He complains.

I laugh.

"What do you think Alarick will do with Benjamin?" Matt asks.

"I don't know. But I hope he takes the right decision."

*

It's evening. I'm in my room with an open laptop. I'm looking for places that I can travel to and plan my schedule accordingly.

Matt knocks at my door and enters. He sits beside me on the bed and asks, "So, how is the planning going?"

"It's going good."

"Alarick called me," he informs me.

I look at him. "Why?"

"He's holding a trial for Benjamin. All the Alphas of the pack will be in the jury. And he wants you to testify."

"When's the trial?"

"The coming saturday."

"Okay."

*

A chained Benjamin is standing in front of the jury. The trial would've gone the same way the human trials go but Benjamin refused to have a defence attorney. He expressed his wish of dying. All the facts, testimonies and evidences were presented in front of the jury. The jury unanimously decided to imprison Benjamin for life.

"Kill me! I want to die!" Benjamin screams as he is dragged back to the prison.

My eyes are on him. Alarick comes to stand beside me.

"Did I do the right thing?" He asks.

"In my opinion, yes," I say. "Do you think that justice was served?"

"You know what I think."

I finally turn to Alarick. "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind."

"I just can't seem to understand how you can show compassion for the person who was involved in a plan to kill you?"

"Maybe because we share the same misery. He lost his friend and I lost my cousin."

"A cousin who tried to kill you," he remarks. "How can you forgive him so easily?"

"I don't hold grudges against the dead. You too shouldn't," I tell him. After a brief pause, I say, "I've realized that a mind filled with rage can make you do the worst of things. It clouds your judgement. It becomes difficult to take a right decision when revenge fills your mind. Mr. West wasn't entirely at fault. I was angry at him because I thought that his decision caused a ripple effect. I thought that his one bad decision caused others to take bad decisions too. No one was thinking rationally. Everyone was equally at fault. It was wrong of me to put the entire blame on your father."

"Dad told me about the conversation you had with him."

I give out a humourless chuckle. "It was more of an argument." I look at him, "Who do you think was right? Your father or me?"

"You both were right in your own way."

"A diplomatic answer," I comment.

"An honest answer. I know where dad's coming from since I've been in his shoes. We both have felt rage at the thought of our mates getting hurt. I also know where you're coming from. Your emotions were justified. You wanted your father to be alive along with the people who lost their lives due to Kurt's revenge plan. You and my father both were right in your own way."

There's a brief silence before he says, "Now, what about us? Will we ever become a normal couple? Everytime we try to take a step forward in our relationship, someone always comes between us and ruins the progress that we made."

"I'm going away for a month," I tell him.

"Is it because of what happened?"

"Yes. I came to know the truth and it was overwhelming. I just want to get away from here. It'll be good for my mind," I say.

"Are you going alone?"

"Yes."

"When?"

"In about a week." After a pause, I say, "I should go."

Alarick nods.

I start walking towards the door. At the exit, I turn around to face Alarick. "Do you want to come and explore places with me?" I add as an afterthought.

He takes a moment before he answers.

"Yes."

THE END.