Chapter 28

The tone of my voice gives a clear indication that I want to talk to her in private. So, she leads me to her office. I enter the room first and Lucy closes the door behind her.

"What do you want to talk about?"

"Why haven't you told your pack that you've found your mate?" I question.

"If I tell my pack that I've found my mate then many questions will be raised about the future of this pack, whether I'll be moving to my mate's pack or stay here to lead. And I don't want to get into all this now and have my pack confused. Right now, my focus is on making our vision a reality. I want to see women empowered, I want them to know how to defend themselves. Once, our plan becomes successful, I will break the news to my pack," Lucy finishes.

"That's a logical choice," I comment. And now, the second part of my question. "I want to ask you something else too. I noticed that you and Brent were going to your room. So, I'm assuming that you guys are sharing the same bed--"

"We'll be just sleeping together and I mean it in the literal sense," she answered my unasked question.

"So, you guys haven't consummated your relationship?" I feel awkward but I'm also curious at the same time.

She laughs, probably because of my weird paraphrasing of words. "Consummated? Why are you being so formal with me? You can talk to me openly. I'm your friend. And to answer your question; I haven't had sex with Brent. Even though I want to so badly but we know that if we go down that lane then we're definitely going to end up mating and marking each other. And if that happens then our plan will slow down and I don't want that. I want everything to be sorted before I take a step towards building a relationship with Brent."

"It seems you have everything planned out," I remark.

"Haven't you?" She asks. "How are things going with you and Alarick? Why haven't you marked eachother yet?"

"We're taking things slow."

"Just like me," she says. "We're so much alike."

*

The day has finally arrived. All the leaders of the pack are assembled at Alpha Brent's hall for the meeting. By the look on their faces, it's clear that they have some idea about what's this meeting is all about. Everyone is seated and waiting patiently for the meeting to start. We've never had a meeting on such a large scale. Usually, only the Alphas and Betas attend such meetings. But today, the Gammas are also in attendance.

Alpha Brent goes on the makeshift stage, stands at the podium and starts addressing the gathering. "Good morning to all of you. I welcome you all to this meeting. Thank you for taking out time to be present here. We are gathered here to talk about a very important issue that we have been facing since werewolves came into being. Before I can talk more about it, I would like to invite three strong women on the stage. Please welcome Alpha Lucy, Beta Chriselda and Selena with a round of applause."

The leaders welcome us with their claps as we go on the stage. We take our seats at the table set up for us in the centre of the stage.

Alpha Brent continues, "The reason why I've called this meeting is to put forth the proposal of training the female members of our packs."

The leaders start murmuring. I look at the audience. Some of the leaders look thoughtful while some look appalled.

"Many of you must be aware that Alpha Lucy, Beta Chriselda and Selena visited some packs to put forth this idea. Some of the packs showed their support by accepting this idea while some revolted. I want to ask each and everyone of you; why do we train only men, not women?" Alpha Brent questions.

"It's because women are weak," shouts one leader from the crowd.

"Women are weak? Why don't you ask this from the Alpha who was defeated by me?" Lucy says.

The audience goes quiet.

"There are many people who are sexists. Even women are sexists. But honestly, it's not their fault. Men and women are ingrained with the ideas that women are weak, women are inferior to men, women belong in a domestic setup, a woman's duty is to only bear children," Lucy says. "But times are changing. And our mindset should also change. We should accept the fact that women are equal to men. And we can successfully do so by training them. All in favour can stand up to show their support."

More than fifty percent of the leaders stand up in favour.

I glance at the people who are sitting and declare, "And those who disagree with us can start preparing themselves to face us when we challenge them in a combat."

After Selena tells the audience about the conditions of the combat, Alpha Brent concludes the meeting.

When we all step off the stage, many leaders approach us, appreciate us for taking such an initiative and tell us that they're going to support us in making our vision a reality.

Lucy, Selena and I thank them.

All of the leaders who are in favour of the movement meet us while the others who are against the movement watch our interaction from a far.

Finally, Matt, Darius, Alarick, Charles and Daniel meet me and they give me a hug.

When Alarick hugs me, he says, "I'm proud of you."

And I smile at him when we pull away. I'm really glad that I have my mate who's with me and who is supporting me.

*

Three months passed by in challenging those pack leaders who were against training women. Lucy, Selena and I emerged as winners in every combat. All of the leaders reluctantly agreed to train women. I guess, no one wants to get mocked and known as a leader who can't keep their word.

We are finally successful in making our vision a reality.

Right now, Lucy, Selena and I are in the living room of Lucy's pack house, celebrating while Lucy's Beta and Gamma are asleep. After all, it's two in the morning. It's just the three of us drinking Everclear, the world's second strongest drink. We want to get drunk for once in our lifetime. And for that, we needed a strong drink since our fast metabolism doesn't allow us to get drunk.

So, here we are, lying on the couch, drunk.

"We did it," Lucy says.

"Yes," I say.

"Now, women won't be helpless anymore. They will be able to defend themselves."

Selena and I nod to Lucy's words.

After a brief silence, Selena says, "I need to tell you something."