Chapter 13

As soon as our lips touch, we lose ourselves in each other. Alarick and I are the only people outside and there's no one around to interrupt us. I am really glad that all the people are sleeping at this moment.

Our bodies are flushed together as we pour all our feelings in the kiss. I never want our kiss to end. But I guess it was too soon to wish since Alarick pulls away, creating distance between our bodies.

"We should stop otherwise I would end up marking you," he whispers.

I look at his pink lips and say softly, "I won't mind if you mark me." What did I just say? Is that what I want-for Alarick to mark me? I can't even blame my bold words on alcohol since we didn't have any at the restaurant. My feelings are probably making me act like a drunk person.

"Didn't we decide to take things slow?"

"Did we?" I ask. I can't remember us promising something like that. My mind feels hazy after the kiss. I can't think straight. All I want is to resume kissing.

His chuckle breaks my trance of thoughts. I look at him. The merriness in his eyes is replaced with seriousness. "If we want our relationship to work then we shouldn't rush things between us."

I ponder over his words. Even though his lips look tempting and even though I want to get embraced by the warmth of his body, I take a step back. And just like that I'm back to my senses. I nod as I realize that he's right. We get our hands off of each other.

"Bye," he says in a whisper as he gives me an awkward wave.

"Bye."

Just as he's about to get inside his car, I ask, "How do you do it?"

"Do what?" He seems confused.

"To be able to think wisely when your mind is clearly distracted."

He closes the car door and walk towards me. He leans in and whispers, "It's because I'm really good at self-control."

There's mirth in his eyes. I bite my lip to stifle my laughter. I pretend to be serious as I cross my arms. "Oh, really?" I say in a faux-challenging tone. "Where was your self-control when I first kissed you in your study?"

"In my defense, we kissed for the first time and I couldn't stop myself from kissing back my mate."

"I think that's justified," I say in a thoughtful manner.

"We can spend all night talking but your friends are waiting." He glances over my shoulder. I look back and find Matt, Darius and Ciara at the doorway with smug smiles on their faces. "All the best," he whispers from behind.

I turn around. "For what?"

"By the look on their faces, it's evident that they're going to tease the hell out of you." He smiles as he backs up to his car and gets inside. After he leaves, I head to the pack house.

"Is it a werewolf habit to eavesdrop on other people's conversation?" I question as I walk past them.

Avoiding my question altogether, Ciara says, "By what we witnessed earlier, it's apparent that your date went pretty well."

"Yeah."

"So...give us the details." She says as they look at me expectantly.

"We talked, got to know each other. Just normal couple stuff," I conclude.

"What did you guys talk about?"

"Likes and dislikes," I reply.

"You're so good in giving vague answers," Darius comments.

"Why are you guys so interested in my love life?" I question.

"Love life?" Ciara asks with a teasing glint in her eyes.

Before I can answer, Matt speaks, "It's so good to see you like this."

"See me like what?" I enquire in confusion.

"Happy."

"I guess it comes naturally when you are with your mate," I comment thoughtfully. They smirk at me. "Can we call it a night?" I ask suddenly. They know that I want to avoid all the teasing but they nod nonetheless. They've decided to spare me.

We all say our goodnights and head to our respective rooms.

"Don't forget to dream about Alarick," Ciara teases before heading to the guest room.

"Thanks for the reminder Ciara!" I call out to her sarcastically before rolling my eyes. I ignore Matt and Darius chuckling in the background as I get inside my room.

*

Next morning, I wake up as I hear my phone ringing. After rubbing my eyes, I try to look at the caller ID but the light emitting from the screen is too bright for my eyes. It takes a few seconds for my eyes to finally see the name of the person who's calling me. And I'm left surprised to find that it's Lucy. It's the first time that she's calling me.

I press the answer option. Even before I can speak, she says, "Chriselda, I need your help."