Chapter 10

Everyone continues to eat in silence. Once dinner is over, we all retire to our rooms where I find Alarick waiting for me.

"Do you want us to leave so that you and Chriselda can talk in private?" Matt asks him.

"No. I want you guys to be here too," Alarick says. Darius closes the door.

Alarick looks at me and questions, "Why is Lucy being nice to you?"

"What do you mean?" I ask back with confusion.

"I've killed her father and brother and she knows that I'm your mate. Then why is she treating you like you're her new best friend?"

"It's because she knows that her father and brother were wrong. She's one of those people who won't side with wrong just because her father and brother decided to walk on the wrong path."

He lifts his eyebrow. "You've just met her thrice and you think you know her?"

"Sometimes it takes years to know someone and sometimes it takes just a day," I say in my defense. "You weren't there when Lucy was pouring her heart out to me in front of Kurt's grave."

"Maybe that was just an act?" Alarick challenges. "Maybe she wants to gain your trust so that she can hurt you when you least expect it?"

"Alarick, you're over thinking. Lucy's feelings were genuine. You would agree with me if you were at Kurt's funeral."

"Chriselda, Alarick has a point," Matt interrupts. "Lucy has reasons to hurt you. She being nice to you isn't sitting well with me. Maybe she's planning for revenge."

"Exactly!" Alarick exclaims. "And that's why you need to stay away from her."

"Your suspicion is so much more than what a suspense movie has," I sarcastically state.

"So my concern is a joke to you?" He asks, a little hurt.

I sigh. "Look, it's not that. Lucy seems to be such a nice person. I don't think that she's out for revenge."

"I find it hard to believe if you look at the history of her father and brother," he argues.

"Well, it's not necessary that she would turn out to be just like them!"

"What if she does? What if she hurts you? I saw you dying once and I can't see you dying again!" He leaves the room and slams the door behind him. He's clearly angry with me because I don't believe him. How can I believe him when Lucy has been nothing but kind to me?

Matt sits beside me and explains, "You need to understand that you cannot trust Lucy so easily. You don't know her. You don't know what her intentions are. And that's why Alarick wants you to stay away from her. But if you want to continue your friendship with her then you can. I won't stop you. But I want you to be careful."

After a while, I say, "I will."

*

The next day after Socials, we all head back to our respective packs. I find Mom, Christina and Ciara waiting for me in front of the pack house. I swear whenever these three are together, infinite questions surely follow. They all give me bright smiles and take me to my home.

Once we are home, they make me sit and start asking questions as usual.

"How was the Socials?" Ciara eagerly asks.

"Everything went well. Except for Alarick," I say.

"What happened?" Mom enquires with concern filled eyes.

I tell them the whole story. By the end, they have looks of disbelief over their faces except Christina who is busy playing with Legos.

"Chris, you need to remember that Lucy is Kurt's sister. What if she wants to avenge her brother's death? What if she wants to get back at Alarick by hurting you?" Ciara questions.

"Why does everyone think that Lucy will hurt me?" I ask to no one in particular. I'm frustrated by getting frequently asked the same questions!

"Because you are Alarick's mate and Alarick killed her brother and father," she says with firm grip on my shoulders. "Just answer this question; what if someone kills your mother and sister? Won't you avenge their deaths?"

"Of course I would! But Lucy's situation is different!"

"How?" She crosses her arms.

"She knows that her brother was wrong and she won't take the side of evil."

"She's trying to deceive you."

"I'm not someone who easily gets deceived," I say with confidence.

"But you are getting deceived by Lucy! That girl is bad news and you need to realize that! Please, listen to us. We don't want to see you get hurt again. We want you to be safe. And for that you need to stay away from Lucy."

"Look Ciara, I'm going to be honest with you. I can't promise that I would stay away from Lucy for something that might not even be true. But I promise to you that I'll be careful."

She sighs and says, "I'll take whatever you can give me."

There's a moment of silence before my Mom speaks up. "Chriselda, I've noticed that there is always a communication gap between you and Alarick. If you guys want to work on your relationship then you both need to talk and share your opinions. You both should try to understand each other. And understanding won't come overnight. I know you guys are busy with your duties and pack but you both should also try to spend some time together. That's how you'll come to know each other and that's how your understanding will grow."

I think upon her words and make a decision. I go to my pack house and get my car keys. Then I head to Alarick's pack house. Benjamin opens the door with a "Hi."

"Is Alarick inside?" I ask.

"Yeah."

I pass him by and make my way to the living room where I find Alarick, Charles and Daniel engaged in a serious conversation. They look at me and before anyone can say anything, I turn to Alarick and say, "Let's go for a drive."