Chapter 12

Once we are seated at our reserved table, Alarick asks, "So, how did you like the surprise?"

"Well, I'm very surprised," I tell him honestly. "Why did you pick a Chinese restaurant?" I ask him out of curiosity.

"Because Chinese cuisine is your favorite," he replies.

"How do you know that?"

"Matt told me."

"Matt told you? You've been talking to Matt?"

"Well...not really. After asking you out, I dialed Matt's number to ask him what would be the ideal place to take you on a date and he suggested a Chinese restaurant."

He made an effort for me. I'm touched.

"Good evening. What can I get you two?" The waiter asks with a gentle smile.

I give him my order without glancing at the menu.

"Make that two," Alarick tells him. The waiter nods and leaves.

"What's your favorite cuisine?" I question him.

"I don't have a favorite cuisine. What's your favorite colour?" Before I can answer, he says, "I'm assuming blue since you mostly wear clothes of that colour."

I'm impressed. "You're very observant."

"I can be very observant when it comes to my mate."

"What's your favorite colour?"

"I guess black."

We continue to ask questions so that we can get to know each other. Once the food arrives, I dig in. After a few seconds, I realize that I'm on a date. So, I stop myself from acting as if I'm eating after a year. "Sorry, it's just that I'm eating Chinese after a very long time."

"You don't need to apologize for being yourself. Eat however you want to, I'm not judging. Dig in," he encourages me as he starts with his meal.

"Okay, if you insist."

He gives out a short laugh. I stop eating and stare at him.

"What happened?" He asks.

"You know, you look nice when you smile."

He puts his elbows on the table and leans in. "Are you flirting with me?" He has a teasing glint in his eyes.

"Is that what you call flirting?" I innocently ask. "It's my first time flirting so..."

He chuckles.

"I was just telling you the truth," I say with honestly. "You should smile more often."

"I think you're right. I should smile more often since I've found a reason to smile." He looks intensely at me and I find myself avoiding his gaze. "Though people will give me weird looks if I smile," he adds to lighten the atmosphere.

I laugh and face him. We continue to eat our meal. After we are done, Alarick asks for the bill. The waiter sets the bill folder on the table. Alarick and I take out our credit cards simultaneously.

Alarick eyes the credit card in my hand and shakes his head. "I'm paying," he firmly says.

I take his credit card and mine, place them in the bill folder and hand it to the waiter, "Can you split the bill?"

"Sure," he smiles and leaves.

I face Alarick and he doesn't seem too happy. "I asked you on a date so I should've payed the bill," he argues.

"You are paying the bill. Your credit card is in that bill folder too," I said in an obvious tone.

"What I meant was that there was no need to split the bill."

"You asked me on a date and my favorite cuisine is Chinese so it's fair that we both pay, don't you think?"

He opens his mouth to object but I interrupt, "You know, a guy should let a girl pay if she insists."

That shut him up. The waiter returns with our credit cards. I take them, pass Alarick's card to him and keep mine in my purse. We leave the restaurant, get in his car and head home.

*

Alarick parks the car near my pack house and we get out. He accompanies me to the front door. When we face each other, I say, "Thank you for the lovely evening."

"Thank you for saying yes to spending time with me." He smiles.

I look at the door and then back at him. I don't know what to do.

"So, goodnight," I open my arms wide for a hug and he extends his hand for a handshake at the same time. We look at each other and quickly change our actions with me extending my hand and him with his arms wide. We look at each other again and laugh nervously.

"Let's just hug because a handshake will feel as if we have signed a deal or something," Alarick suggests. I nod and we hug each other briefly. It feels really good to be in his arms.

After pulling away, we bid farewell. I turn towards the door and knock while Alarick heads towards his car. We look at each other again and we are suddenly filled with an overwhelming feeling. I can't quite put a name to it. Whatever the feeling is, it's quite powerful since we find ourselves running towards each other and start kissing passionately.