Chapter 14

It takes a few seconds for my eyes to finally see the name of the person who's calling me. And I'm left surprised to find that it's Lucy. It's the first time that she's calling me.

I press the answer option. Even before I can speak, she says, "Chriselda, I need your help."

The tension and seriousness in her voice makes me fully awake and I give all my attention to her. She tells me about her worries for her friend, Kate.

"So...will you help me?" She asks hesitantly.

"Of course I will!" I say without even a second thought. "I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Thanks."

"Don't thank me. A woman should be there for another woman, right?"

"Yeah." The tone of her voice tells me that she's really grateful to have my support.

After ending the call, I quickly get out of the bed and shower. I dress up and get my laptop to book the earliest flight to reach the Silver Moonstone Pack. After the ticket is confirmed, I head to Matt's office with my laptop to print the ticket. Sensing the commotion in the office, my three friends appear at the doorway.

"What are you doing?" Matt questions.

"I'm getting my ticket printed," I reply as my printed ticket gets out of the printer. I grab the ticket.

"Where are you going?" He asks next.

"I'm going to meet a friend." I pass by him and head to the stairs. I need to start packing too.

"And who is this friend?" He looks at me suspiciously.

"Someone you don't want me to meet." I quickly ascend the stairs and enter my room. I open my closet and throw some clothes and necessities in a backpack.

As soon as I close my backpack, my bedroom door is slammed open by a very angry Matt. "Why are you going to meet Lucy?"

"Because she needs me."

"Why would she need you?"

I sigh and decide to tell him. Ciara and Darius who are standing behind Matt also listen intently.

"You are not going anywhere," Matt says firmly when I finish.

"But she needs my help!"

"She's lying. She clearly made up a story to lure you into her trap. And you foolishly decided to go to her."

"She's not lying!" I protest.

"Why do you trust her so much?!" He exclaims in frustration as he grabs my shoulders and shake me as if trying to shake some sense into me.

"Because I'm the only one who doesn't look at her with suspicion!" Silence soon follows after my loud proclamation. Matt releases my shoulders and steps back. There's so much tension in the room.

Once we all calm down, I start softly. "I gave Alarick a second chance despite of how he treated me in the beginning. So, why can't you guys give Lucy a second chance? She hasn't even done anything. You are judging her for the crimes committed by her father and brother. When are we going to move past this?" I question with a hint of tiredness in my voice. How many times are we going to move back and forth regarding this matter?

There is a moment of silence as I've rendered my friends speechless. I can see the wheels churning in Matt's head. After a long pause, he turns to Darius and orders, "Book me a flight as well."

Before I can question his motives, he says, "I'm coming with you."

"I don't need you to babysit me," I say as I cross my arms and frown.